What's new

Consumer electronics shopping in canada? (1 Viewer)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
For DVDs in Montreal, the best place in Metro Video, it's simply the biggest DVD Store in Quebec. It's located at the basement of the Paramount Theater Peel Metro Station.

Pricewise, they usually have the same price as FS (Give or take 1 or 2 ducks) But they beat HMV (Which is just 1 block from there)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Thank you Martin, I never noticed that store, and I went many times to the Paramount...

It's true that I don't spend that much time in Montréal itself, I'm more of a suburban kind of guy. Except I have to go to Concordia university every freakin' day... I hate big cities. Too many people. Grmblmbl... (Grinch voice)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I'm majoring in Management, that can't be your major can it?

What semester? We may even be in the same class without knowing it!

We should take this discussion to email, no?

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
My advice is to purchase every component other than reputable Canadian made speakers from the US. I got a great deal on my Paradigm speakers for example by buying here. If you are into high end home theater/music then going south of the border will always save you some money. Keep in mind though that warranties often are void for products coming from the US to Canada so this is definitely a negative.

For example, i just bought an ATI 1502 power amplifier(highly rated) for $350US shipped. I think this is a very good price, especially since the amplifier is in pristine condition. I wonder how much this amp would cost here in Canada, regardless of new or used? Also, can't forget the 15% tax now can we when buying new!

Sebastien David

Second Unit
when I bought my receiver USED, I had to pay the 15-odd% tax, PLUS another 15% duty. maybe more than that. needless to say, a RIPOFF.

how the heck can you go around this? please, Serge, tell me, I'd be most greatful...

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
i will show you the way....
first off, insure the shipment as a lower value than what it is actually worth. For example, the ATI 1502 i just purchased for $350($795 new) has been insured at a $100 value so i only have to pay tax on the $100.
Second, whenver possible, have everything shipped via USPS in order to avoid the brokerage fees, etc. As a second option, have your shipments shipped via Fed Ex ground rather than UPS, this will be cheaper since the brokerage charges are much less with Fed-Ex even though Fed-Ex is more initially.
With these methods, you do pay some of the taxes but you save more money than what you actually pay. This way i don't feel completely guilty :) I get so sick and tired of giving half my earnings to the governement and in this case to Canada customs.

Kudret

Stunt Coordinator
I was on the market for an amplifier and I did not get a good impression of the stores I dealt with in Montreal. The salesman at Radio St-Hubert was one of the most obnoxious person I've seen in my life. His price was good though. La Boutique Electronique matched the price and I ended up ordering it from them but it took them almost 2 months to get the amp from the manufacturer in Toronto. It's really mind boggling how these stores manage to stay in business with this kind of attitude.

On the other hand, I bought my pre/pro (used) and the speakers from US at almost 1/2 price I would have paid here. Now I am considering getting a sub from US again.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The trick to shipping fromt he US is USPS and you can insure for what it's worth but get the person sending it to put "gift" on the package! You won't pay anything that way!

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Generally, for shipments from US to Canada via USPS, the following applies:
Merchandise, with a declared value of more than CDN$20, typically get charged PST (if applicable, varies by province), GST and a CDN$5 customs handling fee. It is noted that customs sometimes open the package to check on the item and to possibly compare the declared value with an invoice/receipt/correspondence. Merchandise, with a declared value of less than CDN$20, typically get through customs without charge.
Gifts, with a declared value of more than CDN$60, gets charged PST if applicable, GST and a CDN$5 handling fee (similar to above). Gifts less than CDN$60 don't usually get charged any fees.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks