Consumer DVD Authoring that can do 6 channel sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

What DVD authoring programs can author VOB material with 5.1? I would like to find a program that can do a timeline setup with 6 channel PCM stems-- but if I could find one that would even deal with a pre compiled AC3 file, that would be OK too.

So are there any consumer apps that can do DVD authoring with DD from channel stems?

-Vince

2. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Somehow I doubt it... a lot of the talks about AC-3 software on AVSforum and DVD authoring in general suggest that Dolby is water tight on thier professional stuff. [​IMG]
    For some reason I think I read something on VCDhelp.com about 5.1 streams on SVCDs... lemme see if I can turn up the info.

3. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

OK, the program is discontinued and no longer sold, but if you can scrounge up a copy, it's called I-Author. Would mux a MPEG-2 file with 6 channel MPEG audio... not sure how helpful that would be to you, but it's all I can come up with :b

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The movie I'm working on, we're just using 6 tracks of audio in Premiere. The DVD authoring house will take those 6 tracks and mux them into DD

I think the cheapest software that will do it is at least $1000

5. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Unfortunately Vince...my answer is not for PC, but on a MAC (yes I just said the M word)........DVD studio pro will author discs in 5.1 and it comes with the DVD Audio pack which will encode audio streams in 5.1 Dolby Digital. It is really easy actually. You drag and drop (pre-mixed .L, .R, .C, etc....) files to a picture layout of the 5.1 speaker setup. It will make them an ac3 file and you drag and drop that into DVD studio pro with the corresponding .m2v file and it will author a disc creating the .vob file.

Not sure of a PC equivalent to DVD Studio Pro. The student pricing is $499 (retail is $1000).

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yeah- I knew DVD studio pro will do it... and if that's what it works out to being- I think they have some systems running it on Campus. But, I thought the PE version of DVDit would do it...

I'm wondering if there is any program that can simply import the AC-3 files and attach it to a video file. I can create the stems and use Soft Encode to make an AC3 file.

I notice the PE version of DVDIT does support dolby 2.0 encoding- I wonder if I could slip a 6 channel AC3 file in there and if it would deal with it.

-Vince