Consumer-Direct.com JBL Sale!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffTodd, Aug 27, 2002.

1. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I was roaming around the net when I came across this link JBL S Center II
    S Center for 159.95! With shipping its still under 200 bux! Gotta luv the back to school sales!

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Here's a couple others:
    $128.29
    $128.62
    $128.94
    One thing you might want to consider. The reason they went from the version I to the version II is Bose filed a lawsuit against Harman International claiming the elliptical shape of the port infringed on their copyright. Harman agreed to change the port design to round, though the battle isn't over yet. I'd personally prefer getting the version I.
    Best wishes!

3. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for those other great sites! That Bose suit is interesting for sure. It was one of the things that I was interested in when I bought my S26 I's. I realized that there was no change overall from the I to II series. I cant wait to match a S center to the S26's.

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Ah. Anyone have a line on an HLS Center? I have two JBL HLS810s that desperately need a good center to match up to it.

How would the S-Center be with them?

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I think the S-Center has a bit of a different sound than than HLS series (I have an S-Center, S312's, and HLS610's in the rear). It's reasonably close though, so depending on how sensitive you are to the differences, it might work out for you. The S-Center is quite a bit better than the HLS Center, so you may want to use it as an upgrade path.

6. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Is it? Well, I just purchased the 810s for the insanely low price of $100 for the pair. Finding the HLS Center is virtually impossible, and when they show up on ebay occasionally they're about $150 anyways.

If the S-Center is that much better as you say I might give it a go. Anything is better than the POS Teac I'm using now.

I just got new rears. Ratshack was having a sale on the RCA PRO-LX550 for $59/ea. They're interesting. Good for the rear.

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Sound is pretty subjective. I personally like the S-Center better than the HLS Center, and think it definitely sounds better. Others may not. Ultimately, only your ears can tell you.
    I plan on moving my HLS610's to the rear for 7.1 and getting a pair of these for my surrounds:
    1 Pair of JBL S36AW for $174.09 plus 13.74 shipping
    http://store6.yimg.com/I/salestores_1698_11667811
    They're great speakers, and they're smaller than the HLS 610's, so they should look better attached to my ceiling:
    [​IMG]
    The 610's look a bit silly up there, huh?

8. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Nice.

I live in an apt so I don't have anything so grand as all that. Just have the two sitting in the back. Those RCA speakers are a bit odd. They have the tweeter on top and is multi-directional, and it has a funky sound. If I had a better room I'd stick them in a corner somewhere.

Thanks for the info on the center. Being that the S is cheaper and easier to find than the HLS Center I'll probably go for that. I'd probably do better with a 3-way anyways since I have no sub.

All those stores charge at least $20 to ship. Can we find lower?

9. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Ah, nevermind. Some guy was selling a "pristine" (we'll see) HLS Center on Half.com for $150 and just lowered it to $99+$10 shipping, so I jumped on it.

That's about all I wanted to spend anyways. If it's not that good I can always sell it for what I paid. They're in fairly high demand.