Constant Powering On and Off of Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GregBe, Oct 21, 2003.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I have finally set up my home theater where my receiver (Onkyo 600) is the command center for everything. In the past, I only used it for the DVD player. Now I run Directv as well as the VCR through it. Although I am thoroughly enjoying the new setup, I am realizing that with the wife and kids at home during the day, the receiver is being turned on and off several times, maybe 10 times throughout the course of the day. Is this excessive, or should I not worry about it.

Thanks
    Greg

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Gregg,

The recievers these days are built for that kind of use. I would not worry about it. I turn my Denon 3803 on and off more than that everyday.....

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

On the other hand, if it were me I'd just turn the thing on once and leave it on if it's going to be used throughout the day.

4. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

5. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

No proof and I might be wrong but, I go with the leave the receiver on all day. Wear and tear on electrinics probably comes from expansion and contraction( heat and cold) which is accelerated during repeated on/off cycles . The only downside might be in the electic bill you pay over the years which could eventually cover the cost of a new component. On the other hand, If you are confident in this theory, you could look at as a form of insurance.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rajeev, see what JackS posted above. Some people leave their electronics (specifically, amps) powered up all the time, 24/7. I don't; rather, I leave them on for the duration of their use during any given day. This will not harm the equipment.

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - I highly doubt that you'll be really reducing the life of your component. I mean, you'll probably have upgraded it before it reaches the end of its useful life.

8. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

If the receiver is in a standby mode when off, and you use some sort of AC spike/surge protection for your electronics, the on/off switch will probably fail before anything else.(Or internal relay if you are using a remote).
    Never had a receiver fail on me yet and I have had more than I care to remember. :b