What's new

constant hissing sound (1 Viewer)

Evan Mann

Agent
Whenever I watch TV through my Denon 2800 from my Pioneer Digital Cable box there's always this background noise type of hiss. The cable box is connected to the 2800 with AR Digital Audio cable for Digital Broadcasts and AR Audio Cables for all standard TV broadcasts.
Is this normal or is there something wrong somewhere?

Evan Mann

Agent
BTW, Speakers are NHT SuperOnes all around. I can hear this sound in Pro Logic TV mode or 5 CH Stereo mode.
I just did a quick test by playing a DVD from my Sony 330 which is connected via an AR Optical cable to the 2800 and the hissing is also there, so I'm inclined to thing it's inherant in the receiver or the speakers.
Any info is appreciated.

Evan Mann

Agent
Speakers were all calibrated with Avia to 85dB. No speaker level adjustment is above +3dB.
Receiver has seen very little use (I'd say no more then 30 hours) over the past 2 years. Speakers are equal in age.
The hiss is noticeale at any volume, but it increases as the volume does.
I hear it when I play a CD through the DVD player, but have not re-tested a CD. I remember this hiss from day #1.
BTW, you only hear it when you within about 1.5' of the speakers.

Evan Mann

Agent
Slightly more info:
Speakers are connected to the Denon using Radio Shack dual banana plugs at speaker end and single plugs at the receiver end. Speaker wire is only a standard 16g radio shack brand in white.
All my equipment is plugged into a Monster HTS-1000

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Try discontecting the cable box and see if its coming from that. Also try unplugging the reciever from the Monster HTS1000 and see what happens.
Kevin

Evan Mann

Agent
Ok, when I popped in Saving Private Ryan DD5.1 it didn't appear to be hissing, nor did SPR DTS. So it appears the hissing is only related to watching TV or playing CDs.
I havn't been able to unplug my receiver from the HTS-1000 and go directly into the wall as of yet, but will try that tomorrow.
Any ideas as to why playing CDs would causing hissing but not DVDs in DD/DTS. I can understand cable, but not necessarily the CDs. I think I need to try playing a DD in non DD/DTS mode and see if I get the hissing.

Evan Mann

Agent
My pioneer box switches between analog and digital connections on it's own. If it's a non DD broadcast, then the analog inputs are used only. I know this because I first only had the digital connector in and had no audio except on some premium channels (HBO for example) thas thappened to be broadbasting DD at the time. After plugging in the analog RCAs, I had sound on my standard cable channels..
I'll check and see if any DD broadcasts hiss like the non-DD broadcasts do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks