What's new

Consolidated thread: ABANDONED TV SERIES (1 Viewer)

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
they have actually announced the third season of the lost world its coming november 16th

it is a recent news item on tvshowsondvd.com it wont let me post the url though

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That's ok, Alex. Really great news! If only other shows would finish their other seasons up like this too, then we'd all be happy, ha, ha, ha. :)

Glenn

Rob Keil

Agent
I agree that this thread is a good idea.

I'm beginning to worry about "Barney Miller" as well, although it won't be 1 year until Jan 2005.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Good Neighbors was abandoned because Acorn only has the rights to the fourth series. The BBC still has the rest. Acorn has released the entire run in the UK, though.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Interesting thread. A few things to mention:

* NYPD Blue S3 will be out in 2005 (news)

* Sooner or later someone's going to mention Forever Knight in this thread, so I'll beat them to the punch. S2 is tentatively set for 1/4/05 (news)

* However, it IS safe to add American Idol to the list. After not-brisk-enough sales on S1, the folks at R2 Entertainment decided to pass on S2 and S3.

* For release dates and company names and so forth, feel free to look it up at TVShowsOnDVD.com of course!

* I suppose this list is focusing on shows that were started to be released in either airdate or production order, and then ceased along the way?... If you include best-of's in the mix, you can add titles like Ally McBeal, Hulk, Designing Women, etc. Probably better to not do that, though.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
David, American Idol was a best-of release, which is why I didn't add it. I've been using TV Shows on DVD as my source for most info.

Jean-Michel, I've added the info on Good Neighbors, thanks.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
David,

Is there some place (website, print, etc.) I can go to look up sales figures on these various TV discs? I am aware of the weekly and YTD "charts" available in Billboard and Videobusiness.com but those lists are generally limited to a top-10 or -15. A friend of mine is bugging me to know how well MORK & MINDY sold on DVD and whether or not we can expext more sets, and I personally was curious to know how well SAMURAI JACK has been selling (for the same reason). I know you post that type of information sometimes, and I assume you get info from your studio contacts. Is there some way we "civilians" can look up that info for ourselves? Many thanks.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Updated Mary Tyler Moore with great news. I'll remove it from the list once we get an official announcement.

Dan Bealsebub

Auditioning
Wow...

My NYPD Blue topic was magically removed. Rudpolh, you an ego-tripper?

Is it okay for people to JUST talk about NYPD Blue?

Get over yourself.

-Dan

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Your NYPD Blue topic wasn't closed because of this thread. It was closed because there's already an NYPD Blue thread. If you just want to talk about NYPD Blue, go there. And generally search can help you avoid asking questions that have already been answered.

The news for Larry Sanders isn't as good as thought. Eidted the list to reflect this.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

And the one and only reply to his thread (which was mine) included links to both that thread and this one. Reading the reply you do get can be almost as helpful as the search engine. And both are better than telling other members of the forum to "get over themselves" because of imaginary slights.

BTW isn't the usual spelling "Beelzebub"?

Regards,

Joe

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Yes and no. There's a source (Videoscan), but they charge a fee for accessing it, and it's in the tens of thousands of dollars per year. It's not meant to be used by the average person, but by studios that need to research how well a similar title from a competing company sold.

Gord

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hey - you forgot the Incredible Hulk. One best of set, the pilot, the TV movies and a couple of R2 discs - and BAM! Nothing.

I'm hoping that Hulk 2 will spawn some more from the show - but for the moment, that seems to be it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that the sales figures would help you that much anyway. It doesn't matter how much it sold, but what the cut-off point for cranking out the next season would be.

Even that would vary from studio to studio, and again for the cost to run it off. You can't compare 'All in the Family' against 'The Wonder Years' just because of the music. Wonder would have to sell a lot more units in order to break even, unless the price was really high.

Again, a high price could be justified for a season w/o music if they didn't expect to break even with a lower MSRP. With a higher net profit per unit sold, it would take fewer units sold to break even.

Glenn

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Incredible Hulk wasn't a chronological release. It was a best-of. I don't list because it's impossible to say when they're finished. You can always say they already released the best episodes, but chronological releases aren't done until the whole show is released.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
If they're not releasing the rest of SWAT, that's interesting, considering they thought it had enough appeal to base a recent feature film on it.

There were only 2 seasons? I can clearly remember scenes from it all these years later, so I assumed it ran longer than that.

This might be the wrong thread, but I'd like to see more of Carson's Tonight Show released beyond the few discs that are out. Not season sets, obviously, but at least some best ofs that each cover a specific period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks