What's new

CONSOLIDATED LOTR:FOTR Extended Ed. Problem Thread; Please Post ALL Problem Reports Here! (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I know it might not make a huge difference, but maybe we should mention if we got the 4 disc extended or the 5 disc extended.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
My problem is that, I don't have any movie ticket for TTT (Canadian Edition). Is that a glitch or it's normal?

SAME HERE!

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I recieved my gift pack a couple of hours ago and tried it again. I got the same result, the DTS bass level is just not right. The Dolby Digital sounds a lot better. I always prefer DTS so I think it is a problem like the Jurrasic Park DVD.

New Line, please inform us how to get a new disk my DTS sucks.

Craig W

Second Unit
Both the RP62 and RV31 are using the lower end Panasonic MPEG decoder (PN MN677533MP). I wonder if this has something to do with it. The CP72, RP82, and RP91 are using the higher quality decoder (PN MN677531KA). It would be interesting to know if those with the better decoder have not noticed the stuttering issue.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I recieved my gift pack a couple of hours ago and tried it again. I got the same result, the DTS bass level is just not right. The Dolby Digital sounds a lot better.
The bass levels sound the same on my system between the DTS and DD tracks.

M.

Joe Woj

Agent
Specifically, it was during the dialogue when Bilbo says "...a Hobbit's tale, by Bilbo Baggins", during the word "Bilbo".
Yes that's the exact same problem I am having. It only happens on the DTS track though. I tried with on the DD track and it worked fine...

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Keith I and Tom Tsai,

Thanks for the responses. Nice to have some verification of my problem, although its too bad anyone is having this issue. Since we are all using Panasonic players, looks like it has something to do with out hardware.

Both the RP62 and RV31 are using the lower end Panasonic MPEG decoder (PN MN677533MP).
I wonder if this is the case, why does it not affect the disc when played with DD, or with any other DTS encoded DVD?

Perhaps if I better understood the way that DVD players decode DTS/DD/ and MPEG, and how the video/audio makes its way out the player, it would shed some light on the subject. Could it be a bandwidth or flash-memory type issue, where the "pipe" is not big enought to take all the information, or there is not enough memory to handle the decoding. But, alas, this is a software thread, and not a hardware thread.

Craig W

Second Unit
I just checked Panny's part website and the RP56 also has the MN677533MP decoder. This is not definitive proof, but a pattern is developing.

I am wondering if the dts-es flags are causing a problem. Maybe something is out of spec in the way dts was encoded on the set?

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
MichaelG,
Reading your information, here's my comments:
1. Windows XP Professional should not be a problem is you're logged in with full Administrator rights.
2. You're using an ATI All-in-One Radeon 7500 AGP. Are you running the current Windows XP CATALYST driver from ATI's website? (Do NOT try any beta drivers).
3. You didn't mention what model DVD-ROM drive you're using running in DMA mode. I've heard some Samsung DVD-ROM drives won't work well with the FoTR:EE discs.
4. You didn't mention what brand and model motherboard you're running. That will determine what motherboard driver you need to load. Don't forget motherboard drivers get updated fairly frequently, so search for the latest driver and install it.
5. What version of PowerDVD are you running? Are you running PowerDVD XP 4.0? And did you install the Build 1811 patch (dated July 24, 2002)? If you running PowerDVD XP 4.0 I highly recommend you install the current patch so PowerDVD works correctly with the ATI CATALYST XP driver.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I did watch the first half of disc 1 with DTS-ES (didn't switch to DD until half way through) and did NOT notice a stutter on those early parts (RP91 & U.S. 5 disc set). Will watch again tonight and report back.

CarmenC

Auditioning
"The extended edition of FOTR, like the DVD of the theatrical release, has a neutral dialnorm offset of -31dBFS. As a result, it should play 4db higher than most DVDs, which use the DD encoder default of -27dBFS.

M. "

Isn't -31dBFS 4dB quieter than -27dBFS?
If the above statement is true, wouldn't the EE DTS be 4 dB softer than the DD track?
Just wondering...

Carmen

Kami

Screenwriter
Just tried both tracks on my equipment....

The DD 5.1 track does have louder bass than the DTS version. I tested the scene when Sauron first starts walking up (Galadriel is saying "And the power of the ring....could not be undone"), the music there is pretty bassy. And then when Sauron looms over the soldiers there is a lot of bass. The Dolby version's bass was quite a bit louder to my ears.

BTW, I noticed no stuttering at all throughout the entire movie. I never noticed the layer change on disc 1 and I barely caught the one on disc 2.

DVD: Panasonic RV-31
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V496
5 disc gift set (canadian version)

Jamie Steeves

Auditioning
Joe W -

Just tried the DD track on my Toshiba 4700 and like yours, it was fine during Bilbo's initial dialogue.

For the heck of it, I also tried it on my PS2, and didn't notice any problems at all with the DTS track at that point.

Guess it must be a glitch with our Toshiba players. Oh well, at least it's a little comforting to know that it's not a bad pressing of the disc.

Anyone else out there with a Toshiba player confirm this?

(audio hiccup in the DTS track during the word "Bilbo" when Bilbo says "... a Hobbit's tale, by Bilbo Baggins" in the beginning)

-Jamie

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Isn't -31dBFS 4dB quieter than -27dBFS?
It's not a question of quieter or louder, but of what the setting tells the Dolby decoder to do. A dialnorm setting of -27dBFS tells the decoder to lower the overall volume by 4db. A setting of -31dBFS tells the decoder not to adjust the volume.

M.

I watched it on my ps2 and the only problem i noticed was in Balins Tomb where the cave troll breaks through the door. The sound dropped out for about a second. I was using the DTS track.

Joe Woj

Agent
Jamie

I think I can confirm this. I just got back from media play after exchanging my original set for a new set...and sure enough the same exact thing happens. It has to be the Toshiba's.

Although maybe it's the receiver...do you have a Sony receiver?

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
To the DD versus the DTS track debate:

I seem to be experiencing the same problem as others have mentioned. On the DTS track, the bass is there but much less prominent. The DD track sounds very similar to what I remember from the Original August release. I too recall a similar problem on the original Jurassic Park release that was later confirmed to be a disc problem and fixed with a re-issue.

Now, is this the case here or are we simply hearing the correct LFE track on the DTS rather than an overblown track on the DD? Everything else sounds wonderful on both tracks and there is plenty of LFE on the DTS track.

Add to that, I remember reading a review on another forum and that review clearly stated that he preferred the DD Track as well.

As to boosting my DTS level from 0 to +10, then I have to change it for every other DTS movie in my collection as all the others seem to be fine at the 0 setting.

Jamie Steeves

Auditioning
Joe-

No, my receiver is a Denon AVR-3300, and it worked fine with my PS2 using the DTS track.

So I guess it must be the Toshiba players. Oh well, at least the DD works OK.

-Jamie

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
This isn't really a problem per se...But did anyone notice the different UPC codes on the Colector's Gift Set? The UPC printed on the box bottom is 94043-56113. However, on the plastic shrinkwrap, this is covered by a UPC sticker, which has 94043-56112. Because that's what I saw first, that's what I put into DVD Profiler, which took it. However, when I later noticed the one actually printed on the box, which had been covered by the sticker on the shrinkwrap until I removed it, was different. This UPC does is not currently recognized by DVD Profiler. I wonder what happened, why they chose to use a different code besides the one they printed on the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks