What's new

CONSOLIDATED LOTR:FOTR Extended Ed. Problem Thread; Please Post ALL Problem Reports Here! (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I watched the Majority of my LOTR SE last night I say majority because I made it 2 hours 45 minutes into the movie before I had to go to bed:) hehe. At any rate I did not experience a single problem with the disc. I watched it in 6.1 on my Yammy RX-V730 off my Tosh. SD-2815 and it sounded fine. I read of alot of people experiencing issues on the ES with the LFE channel being quiet, I experience full bass that was more thand loud enough matter of factly a little too much in some scenes and I have not changed any settings from any other movie I've watched. I typically run my sub on the lean side being in an apartment. I did not hear any issues with audio in the scene where he says "bilbo baggins" either maybe I have a newer disc or something but needless to say it all played beautifully.
Nice clear picture great sound etc.

norman j

Agent
Eric W.
one small problem i find is that when putting in Disc2 and asking to continue CAST commentary, it gives cast audio but postproduction(names) subtitles. however if you hit menu and rechoose the cast commentary again, it goes back to normal. i got a pioneer 333.
I have the same problem with the second commentary.When playing it I get the names for the Director/Writer Commentary.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Hmm, it's been a little bit since I watched this, but I don't recall the DTS track sounding like it lacked bass. I did run into another issue with it though. As I got farther and farther into the movie, I started getting more and more audio stuttering. I eventually had to give up and switch to the DD track, which played fine. All I can guess is that my receiver just couldn't handle the track and was overheating or something. Sony DES-945 receiver. Was somewhat disappointing, I didn't feel the DD track seemed quite as good.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I think i may have a defective disc. I have watched the first disc in the EE and spotted several artefacts throughout. Normally i can put up with some minor pixelation or edge enhancement but this disc takes me out of the whole experience of watching the movie. I wonder if someone could help me out and watch the following sequences

Chapter 1 (6 mins)
The shot of Gollum crouching on the rock in the cave. To his left the sky is showing severe pixelation for several seconds.

Chapter 8 (31 mins 15 secs)
Grey sky breaks up quite badly

Chapter 14 (53 mins)

Frodo running through woods
the dark sky and background pixelate quite badly and looks extremely blocky.

Chapter 18 (106 mins)

Gandalf on top of the tower.
The grey sky breaks up again and looks awful (artificial looking)

There are several more instances of this throughout the movie.

Please someone confirm i am not going mad! Every single person i have spoke to says the transfer is great. I just can't help feeling bitterly disapointed with the transfer of a movie i think is fantastic. I am even considering buying the VHS version of TTT if the dvd looks this bad.
(I admit the shire scenes and the location shots look stunning)

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I am beginning to think this could be a compatibility problem with my Sony S735D. I also had a problem with the Se7en special edition (region 2) and that also was an EIV release which reviewers said was artefact free but displayed a bizarre fluctuating background which affected the whole movie on my Sony.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Lee_eel, that sounds like like minor scratches to me. They can cause a few frames of pixelation like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks