What's new

CONSOLIDATED LOTR:FOTR Extended Ed. Problem Thread; Please Post ALL Problem Reports Here! (1 Viewer)

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I put on the DTS 6.1 track on the new extended version of LOTR and found the bass was lacking. I took it out checked the calibration, everything was normal. I then checked my samson amp, I have a SVS sub, again everything was fine. I popped in AOTC and thought wow with the opening ship scene. Switched to DD on the LOTR disk and the bass was there right away. A huge difference, could this be a bass problem like the one on the initial release of Jurassic Park? If you are having the same problem please let me know.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Does your amp have a LFE gain setting for DD and DTS? Typically DD should be at zero and DTS at +10 (that's usually the maximum allowable setting for both). Also, there could be a volume offset (not just bass though) depending on the dialnorm setting for the DD track. I will listen to some of both tracks this evening.

Regards,

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
All I had to listen to was the beginning during the war with Sauron. The troops marching, fighting, and then his arrival, lots of bass on the DD track. When he blows up there's a wind cloud that really goes low as it spreads out. On the DTS track it was very humble sounding. If I put in my DTS version of Jurassic Park I it scares everyone just with the opening credits.

Paul W

Second Unit
I have too much bass during the last alliance scene. And all in the wrong places. When the archers start firing, there are some huge booms and then when Sauron walks up, nothing. I wonder if therer is a sync problem with the DTS track.

Joe Woj

Agent
Just want to know if anybody else encountered these problems are not...

There are two spots on the DTS track where there is a slight hiccup and freeze up...it only happens for a second, shorter than a layer change, but it's there.

The first one happens right after the Fellowship of the Ring logo is displayed on the screen, with Bilbo is writing in his book, during the new introduction to the Shire.

The second time is right before Aragorn begins to talk to Boromir while they are resting in Lorien. It's right before he says..."take some rest...these borders are well protected..."

These only happen on the DTS track...I tested all the other sound tracks, including the commentaries, and it only happens on the DTS track. Has anyone else noticed this or do you think it's a problem with my discs?

Edit - I have the Toshiba 4800 and the Sony HT-DDW740 receiver.

Trent_N

Agent
My X-Box isn't able to recognize the LOTR:Extended DVD I picked up today (my computer DVD player doesn't have any problem with it). Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem? Any recommendation on how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Please report all problems LOTR:FOTR Extended Edition in this thread. Also, take the time to read other posts; you may find that someone else already has addressed your particular problem.
M.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I got a second-and-a-half or so skip about halfway through each of the first 2 discs. (I think the first was approx when Gandalf got to Orthanc?) I am hazarding a guess that it was a layer change?? I'm using my PS2 as my DVD player...

Eric C D

Second Unit
I got the same momentary freeze as Dave GTP - as Gandalf arrives at Orthanc. I only noticed it because the birds weren't moving. Was it the layer change?

Haven't watched the second disk yet. Where's that hiccup?

Eric

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I heard somewhere that active subs with their own crossover and levels will show huge problems with disc if they are not calibrated right.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
watched it today on DTS. Sony receiver, Panasonic Prog Scan player. AWESOME. No problems. Bass sounded tremendous.

Joe Woj

Agent
I got the same momentary freeze as Dave GTP - as Gandalf arrives at Orthanc. I only noticed it because the birds weren't moving. Was it the layer change?
Ya that part IS the layer change. There is another simmiliar change on disc 2 as well. But my problems are different...which is why am worried it's my discs.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Aha! That's what I thought it was. You home theater-serious guys are educating me :) Is this an issue with the game-machines turned DVD players? Anyone know if the Sony DVD-player update might clear it up? Or am I going to be forced to go buy a real DVD player? :) I don't think the 7 cents in my bank account will cover it...but even such a little thing kind of bugs me..

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Watched the EE today in DTS and it sounded terrific! I did note that the bass after Sauron explodes was not as deep as the Dolby track, however the DTS just felt clearer, more natural, and simulated what I remember hearing in the theatre over 7 times. Now onto The Appendices...

AJ Garman

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I have an Outlaw 950 prepro and it was my friends extended edition. I get my gift pack from Amazon tomorrow so I will have to test again. All of my equipment has been calibrated with an Avia and Video Essentials disk. I really hope my disk will be alright.

One problem I had was towards the end of DVD 1. When Aragorn stands up to offer Frodo his support in the Fellowship, the dvd just froze. I backed it up a little bit and hit play and it finished out the DVD fine.

I have a Pioneer DV-525. I'll have to watch it again to see if it happens again and it wasn't just a fluke.

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Trent,

The 1st disc in the extended edition worked fine in my X-box. Maybe yours is damaged? I haven't had time to test the 2nd or the supplementals, did you try them out as well?

Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks