What's new

Console Wars; Fanboys welcome! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Yeah, Carl, you're probably right. I used to see it as someone who didn't have their facts straight, but now it seems as though their mind is made up. Fanboys (one in particular) seem more interested in pissing people off than getting his facts straight.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I just let it go as a strong opinion that differs from mine. In many circles I would be considered a fanboy for looking down on VHS as obsolete.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,
Why do console discussions on this forum frequently end in an argument and why does the term fanboy get thrown around so much? People in the HT hardware section discuss the plusses and minuses of various pieces of gear all the time...and some even manage to learn from each other. Is someone who owns, likes and recommends a Denon receiver a fanboy? How about Onkyo?
I enjoy it when intelligent discussions develop about the various consoles and I don’t believe that it is always "all about the games". Games are incredibly important...but I believe that good games are available for all platforms and even more are coming. I love hardware, I love gadgets and I do go into the office talking about texture mapping ability :) This is the hardware section of the gaming category and intelligent hardware discussions are more then appropriate.
Thanks,
Jeff

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
I don’t believe that it is always "all about the games".
Well for me it's about the games but I see your point. Technology is fun and cool and the technology behind the consoles is worth discussing. But look at it this way. Would anyone in the HT hardware section promote a DVD player with phenominal technology that produced a great picture and incredible sound if it wouldn't play your favorite movies? What would be the point? The technology enhances the experience but it's the content that counts. Isn't that why we watch movies, listen to music, and play games?

Kip

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
They say they're console agnostic but the moment a negative comment is directed toward Xbox they spring into action.

I'll spring into action for pretty much anything if an all too one sided view is being presented. For consoles I'll defend just about anything but the Jaguar. There's a good and bad to everything.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not saying it will happen, but to say that Sony's lead in insurmountable at this point seems a little unreasonable.
Well Graeme I suppose your right. Anything could happen. The XBox could eventually surpass the PS2 in total units sold. I doubt it, but it certainly could happen. My point is I don't care either way. I won't like my XBox anymore or my PS2 any less. As long as they sell enough units to maintain solid developer support all is good.

Kip

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I don’t believe that it is always "all about the games".
Like Camp, we'll have to agree to disagree there. I see where you're coming from though and I do agree the hardware and the capabilities that it brings (5.1 sound, DP II sound, 16:9, 480p so forth so on) is really fun and interesting. I'm even in the process of developing a website that will house reviews that are geared towards this very subject! (htgaming.com coming soon:D) Without high quality games though the hardware means nothing.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
You have to really look at the fact that most of time it happens to be Microsoft's new system taking the brunt of the attacks. Why is that?
Romier I think this has a lot to due with the fact that it's Microsoft. Not the worlds most popular company. But hey, I'm a die hard Mac user. If I can embrace the XBox, anyone can!

Kip

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Kip,

I love playing great games and I agree that playing a game is the ultimate reason for buying any given console...certainly the reason for buying multiple consoles.

Would anyone in the HT hardware section promote a DVD player with phenomenal technology that produced a great picture and incredible sound if it wouldn't play your favorite movies? What would be the point? The technology enhances the experience but it's the content that counts. Isn't that why we watch movies, listen to music, and play games?
I have been involved in many HT discussions that revolved around technology without regard to specific content. Gear heads will be gear heads. Much of the hot topic discussions revolve around bleeding edge technology with very little available content. HDTV is a great example. People are buying and discussing technology with very little available content...but it will be there and is worth discussing.

I enter into a console discussion assuming (as it is my opinion) that great games are available for all consoles. If no good games were ever going to be available for a given console I would never consider the purchase. Since that's not the case...bring the PS2 vs. Xbox vs. Gamecube discussions on!

The best way to limit the number of arguments in console discussions is for more people to use the search feature. Most topics have already been discussed in great...and sometimes painful detail. If it's a new hardware idea, fact, gripe, comparison, opinion, etc., I would love to read about it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello Romier,
Without high quality games though the hardware means nothing.
I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you. I also believe that without the high quality, technically advanced hardware, we will never get the kind of games that we all crave so much. It's your basic chicken and egg syndrome...which comes first. I think this is a little more obvious since the hardware has to come first to facilitate game development. You can waste CPU cycles but you can't process billions of instructions without the proper hardware.
I am excited about the recent advances in gaming hardware because to me it means an upcoming advance in the expectation of gamers...meaning better games. Both play a part in delivering a great gaming experience.
Would I be stretching my argument too thin if I threw in a cheesy movie quote..."If you build it they will come" :)
Thanks,
Jeff

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Hello to you also!
No argument there Jeff and lie I said I did see where you were coming from:D. I am very excited about the hardware advances as all gamers should be! Hopefully you can contribute to my site as I have been asking allot of members to do so. Check for thread in the software section.
Just wanted to touch on somethings you said:
If it's a new hardware idea, fact, gripe, comparison, opinion, etc., I would love to read about it.
This I am all for. If you there is any discussion to be had on anything from new ideas to even gripes with existing hardware you'll be sure to see me there!! The major complaint is, as Kip mentioned, that someone will start an X-box or a Gamecube thread wanting to discuss that particular hardware or its pluses and minuses. Shortly after its almost a given that someone will come in and say something completely off-topic and genuinely unecessary (usually a bashing type comment) that will completely derail the discussion. That is what needs to stop. From the looks of the majority of posts we do have the ability to discuss these things as adults and without argument. Thanks for listening to my run-on drivel.:D

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Nice post, Kip. Thanks for sharing.

I only have one next-gen system (two if you count the Dreamcast) and I love it to pieces. I think what inspires a lot of perceived fanaticism is the simple fact that videogamers may not own every system and are inherently loyal. Sure, a Denon will give you something different from a Onkyo receiver, but the differences won't be on the level of Halo vs. Final Fantasy X vs. Super Smash Bros. Melee. Different receivers will give the owner somewhat different sound, but different games for different systems will give the gamer totally different experiences (that's 5 'different's' in one sentence - awesome!).

Then again, maybe jealousy is what drives the console-wars. You bet your sweet-bippy I'm jealous of XBOX owners with their HD output, DD sound, and cool games. I'm even more jealous of you PS2 owners with your FFX, GTA3, GT3, MGS2, and on and on. I think it's this primal urge to have everything that makes us resent those who have what we want. What fanboys need is a sense of security in their hardware choices. Instead of harassing those who have a system other than yours, make them your friends and invite them over for a night of gaming variety! As Camp said, it's just too bad we're all scattered across the globe...

Having said that, if anyone in so Cal wants to have a multi-console party - I'm there!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have a bit to say, so either if you could care less, just skip my post.

This is probably what he wants, attention, and he gets it
I'm not trying to get attention. Most of my posts that are viewed as fanboyism are either speculation (and I make sure that its known that those posts are speculation), based on my experience, queries, or just little observations. I'm not trying to get people to hate me, because if they do, they would block me, which means less attention for me anyway, so why would I do that? Being a good member on the forum who participates actively in good discussions will get me more recognition than being an annoying fanboy.

After having said so many good things about the X-Box, and even defending it from friends of mine who really are Nintendo fanboys, how could one comment about something Bill Gates said make me a Nintendo or Sony fanboy? The only thing I said was that it was ironic that the X-Box is getting a bunch of big-name, good PC games, even though Bill Gates tried to separate it from PCs in ever way. If anything, I was saying something about Bill Gates, NOT THE X-BOX!!! I want an X-Box, and I am in awe of its power. Halo in the Scootplex would be great, and I can't wait until I can experience it, but just because I don't have an X-Box and made one comment against Bill Gates (not the X-Box), does that make me a fanboy?

If anything, the maturity level of some other people on this forum has to go up and they have to stop being so rude. Granted, I should think before I speak sometimes (though I honestly don't believe this is one of those situations) but some others should think about what others say before they speak. If I say something false, and someone can factually disprove me (unless its an opinion) then I will openly admit that I was wrong, but sometimes people just yell and scream about fanboyism and then block me, which is beyond rude, its immature.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Morgan: as Romier noted somewhere else, you were doing a great job for a while. Recently that's gone down hill. Here's hoping that will change. In the meantime, I'll put you on my ignore list and stop arguing with you.

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
Great Pieter,
I responed to your post in the meets section. Let's hope other SoCal gamers join in.
BTW: Nice use of your iTools home page! Always happy to know more gamers and Mac users. :)
Kip

Leslie W

Stunt Coordinator
Well, not knowing Morgan all that well I guess I can see the majority of his points he is making here without prejudice coloring my viewing.
Everyone who has posted here has made some good points about console favorites. Luckily I never had to base my opinion of a console by only owning one.
Living with Calvin ... I have the luxury of owning all of them.
I love them all. They each and every one have something different to offer me in gameplaying.
PS2 has a great support library now ... when it started out I remember thinking how short most of the games were, and how disappointed I was in the content of some of them.
GameCube seems IMHO to be following Nintendo's trend of being slow to release titles ... but when they do ..... it is awesome and wonderful !! ( I am trying really hard to reserve judgement on the new Zelda till I play it, but I don't like the new look. )
X-Box does not have a lot I enjoy playing. But I love to watch Cal play. And I am disappointed in Microsoft seemingly scheme for more money by only allowing one gamer name per console unless you pay for another live kit. I don't want to be " guest Nightwing " when I play ... I want to be HTF-KillerMuffin but unless I fork over the bucks it does not seem like it's going to happen. :angry:
A lot of people know Calvin and I love video games. And when asked our opinion on what console to buy ... we both tell the person to think first and foremost what type of games they like to play, and who the system is intended for. For a person purchasing a console for a child under 15, I would not reccomend an X-Box right now. I would suggest either the Cube or the PS2. For older age groups I would tell them to get facts on available games for each system, and what appeals to them, and go from there. I would not suggest they get the info from a " official magazine " such as X-Box magazine or the Playstation one. I would suggest reading EGM, or something similar. The better informed they are about the different things available, the easier it is to find out which console is going to suit their needs the most.
With 3 such powerful systems available, one would think console wars would be a thing of the past. There is something for everyone available right now, from the beginning gamer in their teens, to the mature gamers.
The only thing lacking from my view is games geared realistically towards female gamers. Some progress has been made, but I hope to see more in the future. I loved SOCOM, but just can not get into Ghost Recon. There is just something missing I can not put my finger on. Maybe it is the lack of clans.
Anyway ..... Morgan, as you get older and add new consoles to your treasure hoard such as the elder dragons here have done as they aged, I really believe that your opinions are going to change in regards to the different consoles. Till then, enjoy what you own, and keep an open mind towards what you want in the future.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Guys, if you have an issue with a specific person, add him or her to your ignore list. If that doesn't suffice, contact the person and/or a moderator. No need to air dirty laundry in public.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks