Console Questions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ron Eastman, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I'm really not a gamer, but my DVD player is on its last legs and I need a new machine. I thought about replacing it with a game console since all I would like the ability to play games and only require two features from my DVD player:

*Component video out
    *Optical audio out

It's getting difficult to find a DVD player with the optical output. Do either the PS2 or X-box have these outputs? If both do, which would you recommend?

Thanks for your input!

2. Michael X

Michael X Stunt Coordinator

Both the PS2 and Xbox have the optical output. Both consoles require the purchase of a seperate remote, in addition to the optical and component cables for function similar to a regular player. Which to buy should probably be based on which games you want to play, as there are many titles available only for one console or the other. The PS2 is more popular than the Xbox by a large margin in terms of overall sales, so I'd suggest the PS2 unless there were specific Xbox titles you liked. Either console is a pretty good deal at the current pricing, but you can still pick up a decent progressive scan DVD player for less.

3. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend the xbox hands down over the ps2. I have both systems and I prefer the xbox,It has an easier to use dvd system, slightly better picture in my opinion, and has great games plus the xbox live feature which is 100 times better than ps2's online service.

4. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Great. Thanks for both your opinions. I must admit I'm leaning towards the X-box because of X-box Live but since most of my friends have PS2 systems, I would have greater access to games with that system.

Thanks again for your input. If anyone else cares to respond, I welcome other opinions. [​IMG]

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Either way, you're going to have to purchase something to play games online. Both consoles have a lot of games out, and the newer PS2s offer basically the same picture/sound quality you can get from the X-Box.

But you don't need to buy a remote for the PS2 if you don't want one. For the X-Box, you MUST purchase the remote to enable DVD playback; the PS2 has it right out of the box.

6. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Best way to pick between the two consoles is go to Best Buy/EB Games/Circuit City/Gamestop or whatever your big local gamestore is. Go through the X-box and PS2 aisles. Pick out every game from each you think you'd probably buy or be interested in buying if you owned the system. After you've doen that for both systems, buy whichever console has the bigger pile.

7. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

If you're mostly playing online against friends, PS2 is just as "user-friendly" as Live imo. Even with Xbox Live, I find pre-arranged games are the way to go. Just as easily done on PS2. OTOH, if you're looking to meet new gamers online, Xbox Live's universal gamertag system is unbeatable. JMHO.

8. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Xbox

9. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

It also depends on what games you like, but I think halo and halo 2 should be a big factor in your purchase. Those 2 games are worth getting the xbox by themselves. I can't seem to find many ps2 games that I care for, and all the ones I have are racing and socom. Also, keep in mind the xbox's hard drive. it might come in helpful with your music duties, You can store 500 songs on the xbox and you dont need to mess with the cd's.

10. Ray_P

Ray_P Auditioning

I could be wrong, but I believe the newest PS2s on store shelves today now have progressive scan DVD capability [​IMG] (unlike older model PS2s and current XBOX models). This may help you in your choosing between consoles with DVD in mind.

I have both the older model PS2 and current XBOX, but choose to watch DVDs on the Xbox. Like some have said, Xbox has better menus and navigation.

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

That's really the only way to really choose. The only amendment I'd attach is that you should only really consider games that are exclusive to one platform or the other. If the game shows up on both systems, it's probably better for the Xbox.

I've also noticed that my Xbox reads my DVD-R and DVD+RW (but not -RW) discs where my Apex player won't (which is hardly surprising given its age). Not sure how the Ps2 performs in this regard.

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If you want the best variety of games and the best games period go for PS2.

If you need a good DVD player + decent gaming system go for the Xbox.

Just because the PS2 outputs a 480p progressive signal for DVDs doesn't mean it's better. I'd honestly like to see how it decodes mpeg-2 compared to the Xbox. Sony's lost cost DVD players are always horrible no matter what features they have.

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Of course, if one were so inclined, and had the information, one could easily make the Xbox upconvert DVD to HD 720p/1080i [​IMG]

14. Ray_P

Ray_P Auditioning

How? Is that information in another post?

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  16. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you are just a casual gamer, I would think you'd be better off with a PS2. More game selection, more casual gamer-friendly games. But the suggestion to walk the store and see which games you liked was a good one, and probably the best, suggestion.

17. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I always hate it when people use this as a selling point against the Xbox. In Ron's situation, it would be considered a downside, but when you look at it, the PS2 has almost the same flaw. It was designed primarily as a gaming system, yet to save games, you need to purchase a seperate mermory card to do so (and if you play alot of games, several memory cards). At least the xbox has the ability to save games built in. The DVD player functions could be considered a nice addition. Sorry, just had to say that.

18. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Awesome responses fellas! You have left me much to think about. While I am a casual gamer, I do like multiplayer games so the X-box has the slight edge there. However, the machine will be used primarily to show DVDs but I don't mind buying the remote. I really need to decide what 2-3 games I'm most interested in and make a decision based on that.

Thanks again guys!

19. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

It should be mentioned that the Xbox is generally agreed to have the best graphics of the three machines, followed by the Gamecube and PS2 in third. It should be noted that the gap between first and second is not as wide as the one between second and third.

20. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

If you need a sole reason to get an XBOX, it is HALO. If you need another reason, HALO 2 is coming November 9th!

There are many more quality games on the system, such as Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Chronicles of Riddick, Crimson Skies, PGR 2, DOA 3, etc. But HALO is no questions asked. If you buy an XBOX, it is almost a law now that you have to get that game with it, or at least within the first month.