console or No console

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Taylor, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor Auditioning

After a recent trip to best buy. I noticed that most of the Big Screen tv's are becoming more up a table top unit instead of the big console types from a few years ago.

is this something new? or was I looking at Palsma and LCD tv's? they didn't seem to be marked to well on the display cards.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Mike, the new "thin" DLP and LCD rear projection TV's are table top units. They are very lightweight and not as deep as standard RPTV's. That's probably what you were looking at.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Wow, don't get out much? [​IMG]

Yes, the vast majority of projection TV's in retail stores will be LCD, DLP, etc. projectors. 42-70", as light as 60 pounds (on the smaller ones), and most of them are 12-20" deep.

It is very nice if you need to put the gear under the TV, but is a bother to people who have to buy a stand just to lift the TV.

4. Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor Auditioning

Thanks for the response - No I guess I dont get out much. So I guess they are turning into table tops then? - What is DLP.

Reason I ask is I'm looking to get a big screen this year and wanted to do some research 1st.

5. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Digital light projection, just another method of getting a better picture. I'm sure someone will come by and explain it in all tis glory or just do a search

6. Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor Auditioning

so basically they are doing away with the big bulky big screens and making them more like tabletop tv's such as the 32'' etc etc.

7. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

I believe that another motivation for the table top concept is driven by the desire to sell you a "matching" stand for an extra $300 - $400 dollars [​IMG]

Many seem to be designed in such a way as to not look right if they are not on the matching stand IMHO.....

8. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

No, RP CRT is still the same bulkier style that it has always been, for the most part. The sets that you're seeing are the DLPs, RP LCD, LCD, and Plasma. The stores are pushing these over CRT-based sets.

9. Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor Auditioning

Figures - they are nice tho - I saw a 70'' Sony yesterday. It was a LCD for about 7,000 - way nice but too much $$$$

10. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

That one is a nice set but not worth $7,000, in my opinion. Circuit City had it on sale for $5,500 on a recent Friday night. It was back to $7,000 the next week.

11. Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor Auditioning

that's where i saw it -- not sure if I want a LCD - not sure how long they last. I've heard bad things about them. just want a nice RP tv about a 60 65'' w/HD cap.

12. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I would read the threads here and over at www.avsforum.com. Every type of set sold has advantages and disadvantages. You need to decide what type of programming you view most, your budget, which faults you can live with, and which features and advantages are most important to you.