Console modifications..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_lb, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Can anyone tell me if members are allowed to discuss uses behind "modding" consoles on the forum? I understand that we likely shouldn't post how to specifically make modifications, however, I am unclear if we can discuss potential uses when doing so. I'm thinking about modding my XBox and would like to know if other members have done so as well without getting booted.

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I don't really see why we shouldn't be able to. I mean as long as the discussion stayed on the hardware part of the Xbox and not bootlegging or coping software for it, since you own the Xbox and are free to do what you please with it. E-mail or PM a admin about it.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

I believe particularly in the case of Xbox modding, there are a lot of legitimate reasons for modifications. I don't personally have an Xbox but as I understand, modding allows you to keep your games stored on the HD, move music files into the games from your PC, etc. All these strike me much more as "convenience and utility" applications than "bypassing copy protection." I would give anything to be able to store all my games on the PS2 internally rather than having to swap delicate and expensive discs constantly. And the speed of running a game off HD rather than any optical media is going to be a spectacular improvement as well.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

There are legitimate reasons for modding, but it is still illegal according to the DMCA. (booo!)

-Dave

6. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I agree that it is illegal. I read a whole lot of material on modding an Xbox over the weekend and it states that it is indeed a violation.

The aspects that attract me the most are:

1. storing entire games on the hard drive

2. upgrading to a 120 GB hard drive

3. storing MP3's on it

4. emulation

I could care less about pirating games, since I really don't it's worth it anyway, with the ability to get games to cheaply these days. I'm most interested in emulation and the MP3 aspect. I realize I could just do those applications on my PC, however, I'd prefer to do it on my Xbox. Plus, I'm the kind of guy who likes to poke around with electronic stuff. And if I was to majorily screw up, I'm only out $200.00.