Console Game "Re-releases"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Steve Y, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

By which I mean: the re-release of console games at lower prices with more features and/or bug fixes. Devil May Cry 3, Midnight Club 3, Snake Eater, Fable ... and this is only the beginning.

I love console gaming because it has a distinct lack of mods, patches, or revisions... the best (offline) console games are usually polished enough to never need financial attention after the first $40-$60 drop. It's what I love about consoles. It makes them different. Buy a game, enjoy it, then move on. Casual gaming. The best developers, up until now, had it in their best interests to deliver a "finished" product on release day.

The re-releases are great if you didn't buy the game at first... no doubt about that.

But it's an absolute nightmare trying to get some games working on PCs -- and that's coming from a guy who's quite savvy with registry alterations, dual-core modifications and driver rollbacks. Console games are an oasis of sanity for me. With online-heavy components taking over the console gaming world and bargain console "game updates" gaining acceptance, is the console as we've known it an endangered species? And is that necessarily a bad thing?

It's probably bad for my pocketbook...

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Perhaps you meant to say PC rather than console?

I'm not quite sure what you're alluding to in your post (maybe it's just a rant?)

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

He's ranting about a growing number of high profile console games that get re-released at a budget price with new features added.

4. Ken Chui

Strangely enough, I don't see this as a bad thing. I suppose one can equate this with the double-dipping of DVD movies, which I partake in semi-regularly. For those of us who rarely pay full MSRP for a game upon its release, for top-tier selling titles making the transition to a Greatest Hits / Platinum Hits / Players Choice package, we have the option of picking up either the original (as some do not like the revised packaging) and/or going with the more loaded version. To the best of my recollection, there have been less than a handful of titles whereby content was added to their GH/PH/PC counterparts. I guess the argument can go both ways with Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, seeing as it's an expanded version of the original with a higher price point. With very few GH/PH/PC titles receiving value-added treatment, I can live with the odd instance where the successor is superior to the original.

5. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

The quadruple-dip DVD model drives me a little crazy, but at least it's somewhat predictable. A skimpy first release of a popular DVD or PC title is almost always going to be trumped by something better.

But you can't know which console games are going to get re-loaded. This used to be one of the advantages of console gaming - we rarely had to deal with this PC/DVD "less is more" nonsense. I guess I'm just an old man ranting against the changing winds... at least this trend doesn't seem to bother too many people...

When console developers start saying, "we can fix this bug in the budget release", or "we can fix it over Xbox Live", then the "oasis" of clean gameplay and guaranteed compatibility is going to get awfully dry.

6. Ken Chui

This may be somewhat unavoidable, if not the norm, as we push ahead to the next generation of console gaming. As virtual worlds become more expansive and open-ended in terms of gameplay, it will become more difficult to pinpoint bugs, regardless of how stringent and rigorous the QA testing procedures are.

At one time, owning a console meant all of the benefits with none of the worries normally associated with PC gaming; those days may be a thing of the past. It's not just the complexity and volume of the source code one has to contend with; poorly written code is equally to blame (and there are lots of bad programmers out there, as with any profession). Patches, inevitably, may become a way of life with console titles in the future.