Console Availability

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I was out finishing my Christmas shopping today and I decided to have a look around the stores to see how many consoles were around.
    X-box
    Toys 'R Us had a ton and so did Best Buy. Target only had a few left.
    Gamecube
    Gamecubes were a bit harder to find. The above stores, except Target, had stock, but not nearly as many Cubes as the X-box.
    PS2
    If you can't find one of these now, you must be blind.
    It looks like Microsoft and Nintendo are doing a good job of keeping consoles stocked and they didn't screw up like Sony did last year. So if you are looking for a console to give to someone for Christmas, you will have no problem finding the one you want.
    As far as games go, you could pretty much find any title you wanted, but the hardest to find were Pikmin and Super Smash Bros:Melee (probably because they are so new).
    -Dean-

2. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I was able to buy both a Gamecube and an XBox right off the shelf at BestBuy. Just depends on when you visit. They restock regularly. Nice not having to buy a stinkin' bundle!
    You were also right about SSB. It was a bitch to find. With all the preorders I'm not sure Nintendo shipped enough. I only got a copy because a customer cancelled their preorder. Don't know when I'll play though, as I can't seem to put Halo down. [​IMG]
    Kip

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

I finally saw for the the first time the last couple of days an actual XBox sitting on a shelf in a store in my market (guess they are really more than a rumor). Target had them the last two mornings and Best Buy had them this morning. Of course, both stores were sold out quickly on all occasions. The key to getting one here is to call three or four stores first thing every morning to see if a shipment just came in. It appears MS must be feeding the factory workers steroids as they are really cranking out these units now.

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Since November 18th, I have yet to see a Gamecube anywhere! I asked the manager at Target when they'd have some available and he laughed and said I'd have a hard time finding one until after the first of the year.

I've seen a few X-Boxes here and there, though.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

SteveA -
    This is very similar to my experiences here in Silicon Valley. Both of the new consoles are flying off the shelves. I haven't had much luck in asking local B&M employees about when their next shipments come in, since they simply ask me to call them daily until one comes in. And they laugh too, because it's well known that this area is notorious for not having next-gen consoles available for the first couple of months.
    Kip -
    I've had the opposite experience with SSB, actually. It's everywhere here, and I mean in large quantities. There are just no GCs to go with it. [​IMG] The GC kiosk at my local Fry's is stacked with the games and devoid of acessories or consoles.
    Well, ultimately this is a good thing. I really shouldn't be investing in such things until next year. [​IMG]
    Joseph

6. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

Joseph,
    Tell you what, you send us some games and we'll send you some consoles.[​IMG]
    Kip

7. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

You gotta wonder who's buying these. Now I ended up with an XBox and GCN. The XBox was first. What happened to me was I bought the DC right before it called it quits. So I wasn't that attracted to PS2, especially since I considered the DC library vastly superior. So I basically waited until now to go for a new machine. I saw the XBox as being the equilivent to PS2 in terms of games, but a newer machine with hopefully better capabilities. The hard drive and networking built into it sealed the deal. I was also angry that PS2 apparently stoled the DC's thunder to some extent.

I did own a PSOne, but ended up selling it. I fell out of console gaming for a while and moved to PC gaming. I saw Sega DC as a great re-entry point, however it was very short lived after I got it. I did enjoy the hell out of it though, and still do.

I got the GCN because I saw it as distinct from PS2 and XBox, having its own stuff going on with Mario and Link. I also think my wife will enjoy it more, and hopefully we'll end up playing games together.

I wonder how many of the XBoxen owners are formerly DC gamers. BTW, I find it so funny how many vulture gamers are moving into the DC now. Lucky sods are getting a whole lot of gaming for $50. That's insane.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have yet to see a GameCube in a store, but I have seen several X-Boxes.