What's new

Considering X1, 1HD, and Z1 projectors... ambient light and screen questions (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm giving FP some consideration for my next display. The projector would be about 7' away from the screen in a room where outside light could be 95% eliminated with blinds and possibly curtains if needed. Now would either of these projectors be suitable for use w/ no outside light and a single 60w lamp w/ upward directing shade on in the back wall in a corner as the only source of ambient light?

I would prefer a native 16x9 projector but would comprimise if the extra lumens (1100 for X1 versus 700 for the 1HD and Z1)

Also, in this environment, should i use a white screen or some shade of grey?

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a chance to demo the X1 and the 1HD.

Both work very nice in a dark/near dark enviroment. The 1HD in my opinion was a better product than the X1. But in all fairness the place I saw it in practice was very poorly set up.

If you have not had a chance to see a DLP projector in practice though, I highly recomend giving it a look. I was primed to make a blind buy on the X1 from reviews and so forth. But I managed to find a local dealer with a X1 setup. Turns out I am one of the rare few that can see rainbows all the time. My wife saw nothing at all. We left after about 15mins and I had a headache that would kill a horse. But despite the lasting headache, the color was nice and sharp on the X1, quite bright and vibrant.

But all things considered. we are buying the 1HD in a couple weeks. We have been to a friends, and fellow HT members place in town to view the 1HD, as well as check out some Screen samples. The unit is amazing, we watch a little of the new Lion King and SW EP2: AOTC. Both were crisp and clear, and AOTC really showed off the colors brilliantly.

The screen I would recomend personally would be a light greyish. It seems to bring out the Whites and darken up the darks a little more.

Alot of nice configurablity on the 1HD as well, with 4 user selectable setting as well as 2 preset.

Another slight advantage the 1HD has over the X1 is the connections. With a true component in connection. No need to purchase the VGA to Component dongle. Not a big deal, but yet another expense.

On the flip side the lamp in the X1 is now rated at 4000 hrs, opposed to the 3000 (if I remember correctly) of the 1HD.

And lastly, just incase you were not aware, the 1HD and Z1 are the same player exactly. They are the same play, just with a differnt company name on each. We are going with the 1HD as it is cheaper in Canada than the Z1.

Hope this help.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Also note that the 1HD/Z1 is a short throw LCD projector and the X1 is a long throw DLP projector. You can go to my website ..I have a comparison chart of the Z1/Panny/X1.
I just bought the Z1 ....the only thing I am not happy about is a blue dead pixel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks