What's new

Considering upgrading to UHD, I say, Meh. (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Another new format begging us to purchase yet another (more expensive) copy of our favorite films in a resolution many of us will see no benefit from.

I have purchased an even dozen of these releases, which I view on a UHD-calibrated 65" LG OLED, and other than a marked improvement to the first two Harry Potter titles, I actually find this format inferior to Blu-ray. The deep reds are gone, looking more orange (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and BLADE RUNNER). Deep blacks are often blockier. I just don't see any advantage to this, and I do not think the format will survive. Sure, there is added resolution, but how many of us who don't own $50,000 home theaters with long-throw projectors will see any benefit? I no longer buy releases in this format, and will only make an exception if LAWRENCE OF ARABIA happens along. Until then....meh.

I know there are many on this forum who swear by 4K, but I guess I'm just not seeing what they do.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll eventually upgrade to 4K but the biggest reason that I've not already done it is the lack of titles that I'm really interested in. There's definitely some good titles out there (and I've been buying new releases on 4K so I can use the Blu-ray now and have the 4K when I do upgrade) but not enough that I'm ready to make the move yet.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Another new format begging us to purchase yet another (more expensive) copy of our favorite films in a resolution many of us will see no benefit from.

I have purchased an even dozen of these releases, which I view on a UHD-calibrated 65" LG OLED, and other than a marked improvement to the first two Harry Potter titles, I actually find this format inferior to Blu-ray. The deep reds are gone, looking more orange (CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and BLADE RUNNER). Deep blacks are often blockier. I just don't see any advantage to this, and I do not think the format will survive. Sure, there is added resolution, but how many of us who don't own $50,000 home theaters with long-throw projectors will see any benefit? I no longer buy releases in this format, and will only make an exception if LAWRENCE OF ARABIA happens along. Until then....meh.

I know there are many on this forum who swear by 4K, but I guess I'm just not seeing what they do.

Which UHD player do you have?

I have the Panasonic UB900, and notice a very great improvemnet in 4K oved standard BD. I just watched E.T., Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart within the last week, and a few weeks ago Apollo 13. I was blown away at just how great these looked.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Its not the 2160p that does it, it is HDR and expanded color. If your tv is setup properly, or even pro calibrated, HDR vs SDR is obvious.

I was buying a lot, but now that UHD rentals are easy, I am back to renting. Cost is cheap...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Its not the 2160p that does it, it is HDR and expanded color.

Fine detail is also a pretty impressive upgrade. textures in fabrics, to beach sand, I was shocked at just how much more I was seeing detail wise when I did my comparison from BD to UHD BD. It was night and day in some instances.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Have you calibrated your display for the different formats? My Vizio display required separate calibration settings for 1080p, 4K w/ HDR10, and 4K w/ Dolby Vision.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I have the same model OLED that Rick does (65EF9500). As a relatively early OLED model, it does not have the NIT range of the later models and has trouble with the tone mapping of some 4K UHD disks. These do look dark and murky in many scenes. Off the top of my head, three that have this problem are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Serenity, and Unforgiven. I am very happy with the colors, though, and the 3D is outstanding.

I also have an OLED model from last year and it tends to do better in the blacks. No 3D though.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Its not the 2160p that does it, it is HDR and expanded color. If your tv is setup properly, or even pro calibrated, HDR vs SDR is obvious.

I was buying a lot, but now that UHD rentals are easy, I am back to renting. Cost is cheap...

Where do you rent 4K titles?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Upgrading to 4K has been huge for me. 4K UHD, depending on the title of course, looks absolutely stunning on my 65" 2016 LG OLED, and 1080P Blu-ray also got a huge bump in quality over my 65" Panny VT50 1080P plasma. When I first got my 4K setup I spent more time watching all of my favorite Blu's again than I did 4K UHD releases! It's that good. Absolutely worth every penny I spent IMO.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

I own one disc PASSENGERS 3D/4K/BD and, to my eye, the BD/4K both look great. If the BDs are authored correctly, upscaled to 4K, they look beautiful.

I just can't justify spending upwards of more than $5 to get UHD when from what I've seen, it's not worth it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
iTunes and Vudu both offer 4K rentals.

Ah, sorry. Due to the thread title, I thought you had meant UHD disc rentals. I always prefer a disc since I still think streaming has unrealibilty when it comes to quality,

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
@Dick
I think its just your HDTV setup most likely you use Technicolour EX HDR mode this can produce the images you describe it did for me I also have an LG HDTV with 7 different HDR modes. Technicolour EX HDR might be the most accurate but it produces dull washed out images. I prefer Dolby Vision with HDR manually adjusted to produce a vibrant stunning colourful image & all local LED dimming disabled as well as disable the True Motion setting (this is only for fast moving sports).

LG HDTVs are great for UHD but also they have a lot of different picture options some produce a strange looking picture.

Unlike BD you really need to spend some time tweaking your HDTV to produce the best UHD image.

Also check LG's website they are constantly updating their firmware your model may require the latest Dolby Vision & Technicolour firmware update which is easy to do.

Finally do you have the correct version HDMI cable as 4K HDR requires HDMI2.0 or higher as that is the only cable which has the bandwidth to pass HDR to the display?

Try readjusting or tweaking your HDTV as the difference 4K UHD brings is massive. HDR & WCG are as big an upgrade as Bluray was to P&S VHS!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Fine detail is also a pretty impressive upgrade. textures in fabrics, to beach sand, I was shocked at just how much more I was seeing detail wise when I did my comparison from BD to UHD BD. It was night and day in some instances.

Agree. Grain on film shot movies looks so good.

Ah, sorry. Due to the thread title, I thought you had meant UHD disc rentals. I always prefer a disc since I still think streaming has unrealibilty when it comes to quality,

3D Blu-ray rental rents UHD. I have a 3 out at a time like Netflix. Saves me a lot of money every month.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
There is an improvement from BD to UHD. It is is not striking as the difference from going to DVD to BD. But it is an upgrade format and I do like it. That said, I still like BD discs and will purchase them when UHD not available.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Which UHD player do you have?

I have the Panasonic UB900, and notice a very great improvemnet in 4K oved standard BD. I just watched E.T., Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart within the last week, and a few weeks ago Apollo 13. I was blown away at just how great these looked.
I also have the Panasonic ub900 and even with regular Blu-ray there is a improvement in picture detail. Do have both Planet Earth II & Bridge on the River Kwai in 4K and liked what I saw. Will buy more 4K discs if the reviews are good for a upgrade in picture quality.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There is an improvement from BD to UHD. It is is not striking as the difference from going to DVD to BD. But it is an upgrade format and I do like it. That said, I still like BD discs and will purchase them when UHD not available.

There’s always going to be diminishing returns as we go through formats. The jump from VHS to Laserdisc was night and day for many reasons. Laserdisc to DVD was a pretty big leap in quality and convenience even though many of the properties between the two formats were similar. DVD to Blu-Ray was probably less noticeable to people and the convenience factor was nil since the size of the disc was exactly the same. Same with BD to UHD. And UHD is not going to be mind blowing enough to 98% of people for them to warrant the necessary investimemt to new equipment and repurchasing of media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks