Considering this speaker setup...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JoshGroetsema, Oct 8, 2003.

1. JoshGroetsema

Hi everyone, I love to read through these forums. So much great info from so many knowledgeable people. So here is my question:
    I am doing a big upgrade to my HT room, and I am considering the following:

1. Mirage Omni 250's for the front and rear channels.
    2. Mirage Omni CC for the center channel
    3. Mirage LF-150 subwoofer
    4. Harman/Kardon AVR-225 receiver

I have been trying to find a speaker system that can offer good quality at this price (about $3000) and this is what I have come up with. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, does anyone here know anything about the Kenwood VR-7070 receiver. It claims to be THX certified, but I'm wary of buying anything from a bestbuy or circuit city. Thanks again![​IMG]

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

I recently spent some time listening to the Mirage Omnis at a local store, and thought they sounded very good. Of course, I'm partial to the omnipolar/bipolar sound. As a matter of fact, when I was looking for speakers 2-3 years ago, I narrowed my choice down to Definitive Technology and the Mirage OM series. I wound up with the Def Techs, but I know I would not have regreted it if I had gone the other way. However, I would like to suggest that you consider a different subwoofer. Have a look at the offerings from SVS. I sure that they have a better performer for the same money, or less even.

BTW, go for the H/K receiver over the Kenwood.

3. JoshGroetsema

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about dropping the subwoofer when I tested it. It just sounded too off from the rest of the speakers. I'll also agree that the H/K is a much better buy than the Kenwood.
    Thanks again!

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

That system sounds good to me. I love the Omni series. I'm thinking about a much smaller Omni 50 setup for myself, but the competition is stiff. Good luck with whatever you do. That setup looks stellar as far as I can tell, as long as you follow Heath_E's suggestion of an SVS sub. [​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

AV123 has an awesome Rocket package for $3,000 right now. A Denon 3803, two RS 550 front, floor standing speakers, a RSC 200 center speaker, two RSS 300 and two UFW-10, 500 watt subwoofers.

You can read the details in this thread.

You should be aware that I have the 550/200/300 combination and consider it an outstanding value for HT but then I may well be biased.. I have also heard the UFW-10 and have one on order.

This would be $3,000 very well spent.