Considering these RPTV's, 47-53 inch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike-H, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

I am considering the following RPTV's:
    Sony KP-51HW40
    Pioneer SD-533HD5
    Toshiba 50H81
    Panasonic PT-47WX49
    I went to CC and BB last night to look at the Sony because of good reviews recently, but I wasn't too impressed - mostly because of bad feeds to these sets in both stores. Plus, at $2799 this is most expensive of the four.
    Best Buy has a $500 rebate on the Pioneer making it $2499. I have read good things about this set and it seemed to have the best picture at BB. Is this a good deal?
    I could price match at Sears the Panasonic 47" for ~$1710 or the Toshiba for ~$2050.
    Which of these sets does the best with analog cable? That is what we have right now and my family watches quite a bit of it. For DVD's, I have a new audio system and a new Panasonic RP56 DVD player.
    I have read good things about all 4 of these sets. Which do you have and why did you choose it over the others.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Hi Mike,
    The Best Buy website is showing the Pioneer at $2999. Are you a BB employee or are you eligible for some other big discount from them? I would reallly, really like to know, because if I could find the SD-533 for $2499 I'd buy it today!
    IMO, the Pioneer has the best PQ, both with NTSC (cable) and DVD/HDTV inputs. I also think it has the best build quality of the sets you have listed. In fact, other than the Pioneer Elites, I think the SD-533 is the best mass market RPTV under 60" available and at $2499 I'd be jumping all over it. In fact, if you decide you don't want it, please tell me where this particular BB store is, it may be time for a road trip! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dan
    [Edited last by Dan Driscoll on October 26, 2001 at 12:31 PM]

3. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

Dan,
    I went to my local Best Buy last night here in Lewisville, TX (Dallas Area). The sign on the Pioneer said $2499. It said something about a $500 rebate in smaller letters. I didn't pay too much attention to it. I am not sure if it was an instant rebate or mail-in rebate or what. It wasn't an open box sign either. It was the normal price sign. I thought I read another post on one of theses forums about someone getting $500 dollars off this set at BB as well as getting it during the a 10% off sale.
    Are you shopping for a RPTV? I am about to run out of time on my 30 day return window on a Sony 32FV27. The viewing window for DVDs is pretty small. I am concerned about cable viewing on a RPTV, but I would like to get a bigger DVD viewing experience.
    Mike

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Mike,
    If I were you I would be back in the store right NOW! I strongly suspect that the price sign you saw was an error, but maybe they will honor it anyway. The BB website and all the BB stores in this area have the SD-533 at $3499 with a $500 rebate, dropping it to $2999. Also, BB runs 10% off coupons every 1-2 months that dropped the price another $300, to $2699. But the last 10% coupon expired about a week ago and the next one isn't expected until around Thanksgiving.
    So you can see why I say jump on the $2499 price. Even with all the discounts, that is still $200 lower than any other B&M price I have seen and over $150 less than the best on-line price I have seen. That is a fantastic price for what I consider the one of the best RPTVs available for under $4000. Anyway, let me know how it works out.
    ------------------
    Dan

5. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

You are right and they must have figured it out. I just called and asked for the price. It is $2999. Somebody must have printed the wrong price on the sign. I wonder if they would have honored the price on the sign last night?

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Saw the Pioneer 533, bought an Hitachi 53UWX10B, returned Hitachi for Sony KP57HW40 2 weeks ago. Sony is a definite keeper!!
    Better DRC than on previous sonys nice and sharp (the previous Sony DRC was too soft) with less artifacting than Hitachi or Tosh' nearly invisible variable stretch mode, very watchable picture even on cable ntsc.
    HD and DVD are gorgeous, and the set's DRC and Cinemotion mode make an interlaced dvd picture look almost indistinguishable from progressive scan.
    I have not been a big fan of Sony HD-ready rptvs in the past, but this one has changed my mind completely.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The 533 has last year's quite-excellent PureCinema line doubler from the Elite series. That right there makes it worth the price of admission, IMO. Also, the stretch modes (for preventing burn-in while watching news drones [​IMG] ) are the best on the Pioneers- particularly the Natural Wide for 4x3 junk.
    I like the color of the Pioneers better, too. Put these together, and that's probably why I bought the Elite 510 last year.
    Todd
    [Edited last by Todd Hochard on October 27, 2001 at 09:51 AM]