Considering the Sony KV-36HS20 Any input or comments on this unit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark McAlister, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Mark McAlister

Mark McAlister Stunt Coordinator

I went into Rex's today and was looking around and saw the Sony KV-36HS20 and the picture quality was astounding, but being new to the hobby (I'm not that knowledgable about HDTV), I have a few questions.

What is the difference between HDTV, RPTV, and FD, (pros and cons) and which one does this unit fall under?

If it is HDTV, do you have to have a HDTV tuner in order to use the unit???

Also will video games 'burn' images into the unit after prolonged usage?

And has anyone had or have heard of any problems with this unit (short term or long term), I mean for $2300 dollars, I would like to get all the input I can before spending that kind of money.

Again, sorry for all the questions.

2. Jeremy Engel

Jeremy Engel Extra

I own this set and it is great. It is a direct view hd ready tv, which means you will need to buy a hd tuner to view hdtv. With normal 480i material it upconverts it to 960 interlaced, which means it has an internal line doubler increasing the resolution to "near hd". With substandard input material it can produce a grainy effect, but if your signal is strong the image is great. There are a few tweaks that you will have to do out of the box and normal calibration, but it is easy and well worth it. Some geometry problems have been noted but most if not all are correctable within the service menu.

The difference between hdtv, rptv, and fd?

Both rptv's and direct view tv's can be hdtv's. I'm not sure what fd means. If it is labeld hdtv it has an internal hd tuner. If it is labled hdtv ready you can buy an external tuner and it will accept the hd signal.

Rptv's or rear projection televisions are more succeptable to burn in on static images from video games. Direct view is not immune to burn in but it is less likely. If you want the largest tv you will have to purchase a rptv. The largest direct view made as of now is 40". I have used my xbox on this set for countless hours, properly callibrated no burn in will occur. You could also properly callibrate a rptv so no burn in will occur also.

The only problem I see with your questions is the $2300 price. You should be able to find this set for under $2000 easily. If you can wait a few months the new Sony sets will be ariving and offer advanced features.

I love my 36hs20 hope this helps out a little.

3. Mark McAlister

What do you mean by geometry problems?

How does the picture look with DVD, how about animated shows, because half of my DVD collection is Japanese Anime. I don't have a progresive scan DVD player, I was just wondering what the picture quality might be like.

The thing I liked about the unit when I first saw it was the crispness of the images and the color vibrance (they had it on a cable channel (showing speed skating). I believe they had it hooked up to a Hughes HDTV tuner. It just made the units next to it look awful.

As for the price, if I can find it cheaper anywhere else, they will match or beat the price, plus they are offering a free dvd player with the purchase. Its only an Apex DVD player, but that will suffice for the Hitachi 32" direct tv I know use in the other room.

btw, Did you also get the matching stand for your unit?

Thanks for the info.

4. Jeremy Engel

Jeremy Engel Extra

A lot of the Sonys have bowing across the bottom. When you watch a channel with stock tickers on it, the center of the ticker is bowed up. I have only seen a couple of Sony's that don't come with this problem. It is easily corrected in the service menu using the VPIN and VCEN codes. DVD's look amazing with the 16X9 enhanced mode. If possible I would get a progressive scan dvd player, they are much better on this tv.

Any tv running a hdtv feed will make all the other sets not running it look like crap. I didn't get the stand because I already had a nice wook cabinet that it fit perfectly in.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

FYI, the "FD" in Sony's nomenclature simply means "flat display."

This model is simply fine, an excellent performer. The only difference between it and the XBR models is that the latter offer 2:3 inverse pulldown detection.

6. Mark McAlister

I'm not sure if I know what you mean by stock tickers and counters. I view my anime in Japanese with English subtitles across the bottom of the screen, will this problem distort the subtitles and if so is it easily corrected?

And not to try to get off the subject or anything, but as for the Progreesive scan DVD player. I read what seems to be an excellent review in the April issue of Sound and Vision the Mitsubishi DD-8020 DVD Audio/Video player and at $379.00, that seems to be a pretty good price.

7. Jeremy Engel

Jeremy Engel Extra

If the set you get has this problem it probably will affect subtitles. Like I said though it is easily fixable and shouldn't be of much concern. You won't be dissapointed with this set.

8. Matt Rich

Matt Rich Auditioning

I'm also looking at this set..When it comes to the tweaks you have to do after buying these sets, are there websites, or even here someplace that tells you exactly what to do on each menu to get it to look better?

matt

9. Mark McAlister

I too would also like to know the tweaking info for this set if at all possible, because like I said it has the clearest image of any tv I've seen. I think I may take several of my anime and movie DVDs to REX's and have them demo them for the unit.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gregg Loewen might be able to answer any questions vis. tweaking the thing. A set of that caliber certainly deserves a professional calibration session, and I'd put my trust in the ISF man (read, Gregg or someone he recommends). Be careful of warranty issues, mind you.

11. Mark McAlister

Is Dish Network compatible with this TV? What about the KD34XBR2 with the built in HDTV tuner?

12. JasonWW

JasonWW Agent