Considering the Sony 70" SXRD: KDS-R70XBR2

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted.B, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Ted.B

Ted.B Auditioning

So I've been keeping my eye on this set as it nears release (my local Ultimate Electronics said they are getting their shipment this week) and am looking for anyone with experience with Sony's SXRD tech.

I definitely want a TV of this size that has 1080p and from various users I've heard that these upcoming sets are the ones to beat. I haven't seen any reviews yet for these models and the only HDTV I have owned is a DLP from Mitsubishi. Is Sony's tech better than others and worth the extra dough?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Harpozep

Harpozep Stunt Coordinator

I'm waiting on the 60" version of the same from a local retailer. I guess they'll be shipping soon..........

I have the opportunity to get last year's set the SXRD1 60" at a decent price as they have some leftovers. But, I'd rather just hedge all my bets and get something with full 1080P input to output. Last year's set will not play a 1080P input signal straight through. It first down converts the signal to 1080i then back to 1080P for viewing. I think Sony were scared of copy protection issues or something. Dunno. It just makes me want this year's set, and not last years.

JVC has a 71" LCOS set that my be a good match for you. Same overall technology as the Sonys, but less expensive. Hey, maybe I should see if they are making a 60"............

3. Ted.B

Ted.B Auditioning

Thanks Robert. I'm not too familiar with JVC sets but at looking at their site I see a 70" that is also priced at 7 grand (the 1080p HD-ILA Rear Projection TV - HD70FH96). I assume that this set and the Sony are comparable?

4. Harpozep

Harpozep Stunt Coordinator

5. O'Shag

O'Shag Auditioning

Ted,

I first saw HDTV demonstrated what must be close to 15 years ago at an exposition for the film industry in Los Angeles. I have not seen anything since to equal what I saw then. HDTV at that professional level leaves one speechless. What they say about it looking real is not exagerrated. Back to the real world though...

In addition to some other sets - including my much loved Loewe Aconda 40" Tube TV- I own the first gen KDS-R60XBR1. The R60XBR1 is exceptionally good apart from a few quirks. One of these is video noise and smearing, which can become bothersome in high speed action such as sports (although some of the problem must lie with the source). Watching standard definition programming is barely acceptable, but thats not really the fault of the set. Many broadcasters still need to convert their film recording and broadcast systems to the HDTV format. For all that, the R60BR1 (and SXRD technology in general) is capable of excellent performance. When the source is good, and if the action is not so complex and fast as to overpower the video processor's capabilities to keep up, then the KDS-RX60BR1 is superb. If you do choose to buy the out-going model at the crazy cheap prices they are now going for (2,500 - 3,000 or thereabouts) you will be getting a helluva deal because the second gen model with the exception of a few changes is essentially the same as the first. Bottom line is the first gen model will still be superior to most all other sets out there. Thing to keep in mind is that Sony is addressing those few shortcomings of the XBR1 with the second generation XBR2 model, so video noise and smearing will not be a problem. Also it can accept a native 1080p signal. The second gen will be just that bit better. Being the A/V perfectionist I am, I put my order in a few weeks ago for the new KDS-R70XBR2 mainly because I wanted that excellent SXRD picture in the 70" format. If the 70" wasn't available and 60" was still the largest size, I would just stick with my first gen 60XBR1.
    A heads up on the Mitsubishi... We have the 73" DLP set from Mitsubishi. Its about 6 months old and has developed a serious problem, which has rendered the set unwatchable. Unfortunately Mitsubishi have been very slow to respond to the problem and have been wishy washy to-boot and thats not nice when you spend over 5 grand on a TV. so I would caution against buying this set based on customer service performance.
    Sony's customer service on the other hand is excellent. Hope this helps