Considering switch from Marantz to Pio Elite...need opinions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MWestyn, Oct 27, 2003.

1. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Marantz SR7300 paired with B&W 600 series speakers (see sig.). While I like the sound, for some reason, I feel like I'm missing something.

I don't listen to 2ch music very often (if at all). Usually, directv, dvd, or surround audio.

I've heard some good things about the Pio Elite 47tx and I also think I might benefit somewhat from it's additional power (extra 30w over Marantz).

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

2. James_SCEA

James_SCEA Agent

Sean,

I'm wondering why you're comparing the 47tx ($3000) with an SR 7300 ($900). Why such a big jump? If you don't really listen to music but prefer theater you may like the Pioneer. In my auditions I chose the Marantz SR 8200 over the Pioneer Elite VSX 53tx. I got more power for the money, and the Marantz was a lot more musical. The soundstaging with movies was noticably more accurate, and two channel audio had more warmth and depth.

The 47tx does have a lot of nice features, including THX Ultra2 certification and a lot of power. But it costs about 3 times the price of your current receiver.

Good Luck
    JC [​IMG]

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Sean,

I noticed your list doesn't include a subwoofer. Was that an oversight or does your system not include a subwoofer? I would get a subwoofer next if you don't have one, especially if you are mostly into HT. Setting most if not all of your speakers to "small" would relieve some of the stress on the SR-7300's amps.

Michael

4. MWestyn

James,

I wouldn't say I'm comparing the two...more like considering an upgrade. Just wanted some input from owners/critics who has experience with either or both of these units.

Yes the MSRP's are somewhat askew, but the retail isn't terribly different...SR7300 is usually around $900 (as you said) but 47tx's can be had for about $15-1600...more like 1.5 times as much : )

I like the sound, but I kinda feel like the marantz should have some more features...another issue is video bandwidth...marantz does not disclose it's specs and I've noticed some signal degradation when switching through the unit. At least the pio states the specs on this.

Michael,

No, I didn't omit the sub by accident...that's a purchase to be made in the near future. Most likely will be an SVS 20-39 PCI. I suppose it will help somewhat. Again, I just feel sort of "short-changed" with the marantz...maybe it's just me. (Not buyer's remorse...I've had the unit for about a year now).

Thanks.

Any more input is welcome.

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Pioneer makes a good receiver, but their power amp section is not a strength, if that's the main reason for the upgrade... for considerably less money, I'd go with a sub and an outboard 5-ch power amp, say a Rotel RMB-1075 ($1k)... the Marantz is a neat receiver with great processing at its price; I don't think you'd sense much audible improvement with the Pioneer.

The video routing may be a genuine issue, however (it was for me on an older Marantz)... but if you have just the 2 or 3 video sources, you're strongly advised to connect them directly to the TV, regardless of your receiver.

If you're really intent on getting a new receiver, also look at Rotel, NAD, Sunfire, B&K.

6. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer's MCACC is also a great feature that made a huge difference in my in-home trial of a 45tx vs. the SR7300. A great upgrade path today would be the 55txi (MCACC and ilink) to be used later on as a pre/pro with outboard amps...

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I listened to the Pioneer 49tx, the Denon 5803, and the Marantz 9300, and I could not tell a significant difference between them. Marantz does lack a little in features compared to others, but that is because they foucs on the sound. I'd like some of the features of NAD on my 8300, but I'm very happy otherwise.

If it's features you want, I'll second NAD, Rotel and B&K.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

9. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

10. John Garcia

John
    The 49Tx I listened to definitely had no lack of power... I believe it has the most potent amps of any tested receiver on the market, and I would guess the 55 is using the same. (and at their price tag, they better be powerful [​IMG] ).

11. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I second the GregD suggestion. I would get an outboard amp and then upgrade to a pre-pro.
    At @ $1700.00 for the 47, you are approaching the price of seperates like those from Rotel and Outlaw and Adcom. Yeah they don't have MCACC and the like, but how many times do you use that? Just something to think about.
    As for Pio Elite. I love their stuff. and had been an owner since '94.

12. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth. When I auditioned my 47tx it was on B&W 601s (2 channel without sub). It sounded incredible! So good infact that my wife, who normally couldn't care less about these things, we ditched our plans to buy the 45tx and splurge on the 47tx. It was way more money than we had planed to spend, but we couldn't go with the 45 after hearing it.

13. MWestyn

I appreciate all of the input guys...you've given me much to think about.

I believe I'll try running my setup with a sub (SVS 20-39 pci will be ordered soon) and see if I still feel I'm missing something.

I'll look into an amp or pre-pro...hadn't given that too much thought before. Guess it sounds stupid, but I kind of like the idea of having an "all-in-one" package...just don't want to sacrifice by doing that.

Keep the suggestions coming[​IMG]

14. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I guess it would have been more accurate to state that TX receivers had occasionally been known to clip when driving certain low-impedence or inefficient speakers, as was reported on this forum a few times when they first appeared on the market... it's likely that has been addressed and fixed by now.

I too love the Pioneer's "sound", which is the most important factor of all... processors are topnotch... and yes, they are loaded with features.

The better recommendation would be to put a little effort into speaker matching, which is good advice for any amplifier or receiver... especially if you're prone to speaker experimentation.

15. MWestyn

Umm, my speakers are about as matched as is possible (see sig). As for inefficient, I don't think that would be an issue for me either.

Someone else mentioned speaker placement...I've adjusted all of them till I was blue in the face...without using an spl meter, I'm pretty confident that they are set up fairly well...guess this is where MCACC would come in handy [​IMG]

16. John Garcia

John
    By the way, you're not supposed to list your gear in your sig...

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You might find an SPL meter to be a worthwhile investment.

18. MWestyn

Ok...I wasn't aware we weren't supposed to list the gear...guess I'll take it off.

Yes, it seems an spl meter will be necessary...especially since I just ordered an SVS 20-39 pci. Wouldn't the Pio's mcacc take the place of the spl's job?

19. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Few things that I would like to address here regarding Pioneer Elite receivers that I feel have been a little muddied.

First, the clipping problem with Elite receivers (i.e. 45TX) was recognized and fixed last October, so that's a dead issue. Also, the 45TX was bench tested in an independent European magazine (tested 2011 Euro version of 45TX), and it bench tested at 5 x 135 watts, well over it's stated output. Someone either here or over at AVSforum.com would probably have the link.

Second, someone mentioned how much do you really use the MCACC feature. Well, since owning my 45TX since April I've used it probably about 10 times. Had to break down my system once for new carpeting, replaced my surrounds, repositioned the subs a few times, etc. It is an invaluable feature on the Elite models that have it.

Third, as for features you would be hard pressed to find a receiver packed with more. You may not use all of them, but, damnit, they're there if you need'em. Actually, the more I learn the receiver, the more I see particular features making life easier and sound better.

Finally, I have a lot of respect for Marantz receivers, I really do. I think they offer a tremendous value in the HT marketplace. But, after literally just finishing up helping a friend set up here HT system with a 6300, I have some general concerns regarding their remote and general functionality. The remote, I feel, is not as intuitive as the remote on my 45TX, and seems a little awkward. Also, I have some general concerns regarding the Marantz picking up audio signals after switching audio inputs (DVD > TV for example). Seems like the delay is about a second or so too long. Also, you almost have to step up to the 9300 to get 7 amplified channels built in. Yeah, I know, a lot of people out there are doing just 5.1, but my back surround on my 45TX came in very handy when running a second set of speakers out to my deck.

I know some of this may seem trivial, and I'm sure some of it due to just being used to my 45TX, but that's my feedback.