What's new

Considering replacing Sony DA3500ES receiver and need advice? (1 Viewer)

atomarchio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angelo
I have Tivo with 3 speakers (left, center, right) using Sony DA-3500ES receiver with HDMI.
The sound quality is not good. We can't hear audio that clearly and the volume always seems to be loud or soft. We just can't get this receiver working right. The other problem is that when we increase volume, there are no bars that show up on the TV screen. That has become very annoying.
What should I do? Should I buy another receiver? I don't particularly want to but would if that help our issue. I am also concerned about buying another receiver which may not solve the problem.
Any suggestions?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
not all receivers, particularly the less expensive models, show the volume bar on the screen. It is sometimes referred to as OSD or On Screen Display which can be confusing because that's also the term used for the setup menu's.
A newer receiver will have a built-in room correction equilizer which it's automatic setup program will analyze and adjust correctly. Your receiver has the automatic setup but I didn't see anything about an eq. An eq could help the over-all sound quality.
In addition, a newer receiver may have Dolby Volume or Audyssey's Dynamic Volume which is supposed to even out the sound volume between different sources souch as those annoying info-mercials. Denon, Onkyo and Marantz have Audyssey. Most others have their own propietary auto-setup programs. The thing I like about Pioneers MCACC is you get 6 presets which memorize eq settings and speaker volumes so you can set one preset up for regular movies, one for two channel music, one for late night tv watching (lower the bass, up the mid-range a bit, lower the subwoofers volume and increase the centers), etc. It takes a while to set it all up but then the push of a button on the remote re-sets all speaker volumes and equilizer settings to meet the needs at the time. However, Audyssey is thought to be the best of the bunch but it only has one basic eq setting and one for manual setting. But there's no way of knowing if these features will solve all your problems.
Could your speakers or setup procedure be part of the problem?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by atomarchio /t/321611/considering-replacing-sony-da3500es-receiver-and-need-advice#post_3939305
I have Tivo with 3 speakers (left, center, right) using Sony DA-3500ES receiver with HDMI.
The sound quality is not good. We can't hear audio that clearly and the volume always seems to be loud or soft. We just can't get this receiver working right. The other problem is that when we increase volume, there are no bars that show up on the TV screen. That has become very annoying.
What should I do? Should I buy another receiver? I don't particularly want to but would if that help our issue. I am also concerned about buying another receiver which may not solve the problem.
Any suggestions?

The problem could be your speakers and not the Sony AV Receiver, what is the make of your speakers and do you know their tech specs. ?

Another problem could be you have just set up the receiver wrong, maybe you have something switched on that should be off or vice versa, did you read your manual for the receiver, what listening volume do you use, when you say the volume is either too loud or soft can you tell me what you are listening to when you feel that way. ? If it's a tv programme and adverts come on then sometimes they can go loud and then the tv comes back on and its softer, i think this receiver has a control for fixing that issue, if it's films then sometimes you will get soft moments followed by all out loudness, this is dynamic range in a film and with the right speakers will sound superb.

Found a review of the receiver here.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Sony-STR-DA3500ES/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avinrulez