Considering replacing my Rotel 1066 with AVM 20 , , , good idea with my setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I really enjoy my RSP-1066, but its limitations are becoming apparent now that I'm gradually building up my system. The biggest issue for me at the moment is the poor speaker delay management. I'll be integrating an outboard video scaler for use with my projector next month, and using such a scaler causes a slight delay to the video signal. Normally, you'd use the pre/pro to adjust the delay settings for the audio signal so you wouldn't run into sync issues. Unfortunately, the delay management on the 1066 is very rudimentary and inadequate in this regard, and it looks like a firmware fix for this issue isn't likely.

I was reading up on the AVM 20, and see that it has a group delay feature that addresses the video processing delay issue directly, providing a delay of up to 85ms in 1ms increments. I realize that it is more expensive than the 1066, but with the recent 2.0 upgrade and built-in tuner I think it's worth the extra money.

I purchased the 1066 a couple months ago and paired it with an RMB-1075 plus an RMB-1050 to power the 2 rear channels. I'd have no problem ditching my 1066 and taking a slight loss on that, but I'd rather not go to the trouble of getting rid of the amps too. They're quality amps, no doubt. I'd describe their sound and power as relentless but clean, and more than enough for my needs. I'm wondering if they're going to be a good match to the AVM 20 though. Anyone think that different amps might be a better match, or can I stick with the Rotels?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jay,

I am using Marantz MA-700 monoblocks, which to some people around these parts are considered beneath the level of the AVM-20 we own. And yet the combination is thoroughly enjoyable. I think that the Rotel amps with the AVM-20 would be a very good setup. Hopefully you can audition the AVM-20 in your system just to make sure.

Michael

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Jay- Since you are assured that the Rotel amps are pristine, the only possible degradation would have to come from the AVM-20. Since the AVM-20 also enjoys a great reputation, the match could be perfect.

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Ok me too.
    I am thinking about the Anthem as well, does anybody think it'll go with my ATI 1505 ok?

5. Matthew Woodley

Hello Jay,

I'm currently running the Anthem AVM-20 with the Rotel RMB-1075 and couldn't be happier. I think that the combination is a great match.

Matt

6. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Cool, thanks everyone. Guess I'll give it a shot.

Would any of you mind telling me what you paid for your AVM 20? You can PM me or e-mail me if you don't want to post it here.

Thanks,
    Jay