Considering relocation to Austin. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'm considering taking a new position with my company in Austin. It would be in the NE area of town (zip 78754), and I'd like to buy a home (under $200K if possible). I'd like to be close to work.

I've looked at a few real estate sites, but don't really have any idea what's a reasonably decent place to look. I've noticed Pfulgerville come up a few times.

What do you think of Austin, and coming from Orlando, am I going to like it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Todd

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I like Austin. I've been here for 4 years fresh out of college from Ohio. The weather here is great if you like very very hot summers. Lots of people complain about the traffic, but those people don't know what bad traffic really is. As far as stuff to do there are plenty of good theaters and malls. UT is located here so downtown is college town central. I live in Northwest Austin, but used to live in northeast, just south of round rock and north of Pflugerville. I was just down the street from world headquarters of dell, it was ok, but crowded and getting worse. I like Northwest Austin better. Its near the Arboretum area and Krispy Kreme [​IMG] Where will your work be located? I don't know where everything is at, but I think I've gotten a good sense of what the town is like so feel free to ask anything.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The job is in the NE section at zip 78754, that's why I'm considering looking there first. I'd prefer to live close to work if possible, unless, of course, that area of town stinks.

Todd

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I don't know about moving to Austin. What with crazy cops turning into metal goo, large Austrian bodybuilders with sunglasses shooting up malls, and whiny little kids stealing from ATM machines...

5. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Austin is a great town. The only thing that really stands out to me as lacking here are the fine arts. You do have to deal with some pretty extreme heat in the summers, but on the other hand I was on the roof in shorts and a T-shirt this weekend putting up my x-mas lights. [​IMG]
    If you're looking in the Pflugerville/Round Rock area, $200k will get you a nice house. Depends on how much space you're looking for. Looks like cost of living in austin is a little higher than orlando, but they look pretty close.
    If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. I've been here around 10 years.
    brianca.

6. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

7. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

haha..oh Leslie is cool...he/she even has his/her own commercial for Pinkies Wireless! [​IMG]