Considering professional calibration...should I get Duvetyne lined also??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JimmyK, Nov 20, 2003.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    I'm considering having Gregg Loewen calibrate my Tosh 40H80 RPTV. I would be getting the basic calibration package and possibly the Duvetyne lining as well.

There is an extra charge to have it lined with Duvetyne. Is it worth it? Does it make much difference?

I'm looking to get the biggest bang for the buck, hence the reason I ask.

I would appreciate hearing about experiences and suggestions.

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I had it done on my 47" Panny, and I'm not sure it made a difference. Just two weeks ago the lining started coming down from the top of my set, messing up my picture. I had to open the set and pull the top piece off myself. I personally wouldn't spend my money on this tweak again...

3. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks for the response, Dwight.

Did you have anything else done? If so, what was the result?

JimmyK

4. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

I had my 57H81 57" and my 40" TW40X81 Toshiba's ISF calibrated and lined with Duvetyne. No problems with the fabric falling out of place. In my opinion the lining is certainly an improvement as it helps to curtail any inner cabinet light reflections. As a result it helps to increase black level. Although Gregg did not do the work on any of my sets, he is a very competent guy and will provide great service I am sure.

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks Ralph.

Anyone else?

JimmyK

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I had Gregg Do mine he does an excellent job. I skipped the lining thou as the Hot spot on the set really does'nt bother me.....

7. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

FYI, I love my set now that it is calibrated. I was told by my Eliab that my set was one of the best looking sets he had seen before calibration. That is because I spent A LOT of time tweaking the set myself in the service menu. I did the full 64 point convergence, e focus, m focus, SVM disabiling, etc.

If I had the ability to get a 1080i test signal I probably would have done the rest myself. That being said, I think Eliab did a great job, increasing the quality of my 480p input some, and my 1080i input tremendously.

Even with the Duvy, there is still internal reflections. There are still parts of the set that are not lined, although I bet if I wanted to pay extra I'm sure I could get them covered as well.

In my mind, everything else was worth it. I plan on having Eliab come back out for my newly purchased 34xbr910 to do the same professional job he did on my panny.

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

About 1/2 the people I have met who did the lining said they did not see a difference ... the other half said they did. For me, I don't see a difference, but it depends on the set ... as some do not paint portions of the inside.

Regards