considering Philips 34" 16:9 tube - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i MAY be getting a sizable warranty refund form circuit city and have my eyes on the 34" widescreen philips tube tabletop television. I've been holding off on 16:9 until I could afford a tube after horrendous experiences with TWO toshiba Theaterwide 40" 16:9 rear projection sets.
    some of the reviews online seem to find some faults with the philips set, but the store model i saw (with an hd feed) looked amazing, i can only imagine what progressive scan would look like on it. plus anything will beat the 27" Wega I have right now (2.35:1 films give me a headache because things onscreen are so small)..
    so someone talk me into this set!

2. Pete K

Pete K Agent

Well I'll just say this if I had the extra grand and could do it over again I'd get the Philips over the RCA HDTV direct tube.
    The RCA has power problems, a guide that is not supported by most cable providers, and is technologically dead--
    no video outputs, no way to upgrade if firewire becomes the std.
    At least the Philips looke sweet, has a cool looking remote, has video outs and has guide plus gold. So what if it's only HDTV ready; I say if it looks good to ya and ya gots the dough--go for it!!
    As for me, I'm still!! waiting for RCA to send my replacement to the service center.

3. Chris Kayser

Chris Kayser Extra

When I was in the market for a 34" 16:9, I eliminated the Philips because it only had one HD capable component input. So you couldn't connect an HD tuner and a progressive scan dvd player at the same time.
    It might not be an issue to some people, but I figured if I was going to drop that kind of cash, it should be able to do both at the same time. The picture was gorgeous with the HD demo playing through it though.

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Have you considered the new Panasonic 34" direct-view TV? It has 2 HD inputs, I believe.

5. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

I can't comment on Philips tv's but I can comment on their customer service; it sucks. I had a problem with a Philips VCR and it spent most of its first year in the repair shop. I kept getting the run around by the authorized repair shop and Philips customer service. Not until I contacted the BBB did I get any results.