Considering Panasonic PT56HX41...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricWilliamMeyers, Mar 31, 2002.

1. EricWilliamMeyers

EricWilliamMeyers Auditioning

What does anyone know about the Panasonic PT-56HX41? I read an older thread where somebody complained about it not being able to squeeze 16:9 images, which sounds ludicrous to me. It's listed as a capability on their website. Will this work? I have a progressive scan DVD player which will be hooked up with component video directly. Then my A/V receiver will handle the switching for the satellite/cable and video game systems. This seems like a nice model, I got a good look at it at Best Buy with a friend, but we were wondering if anyone has read any reviews or had any opinions.

Thanks very much,

Eric

2. EricWilliamMeyers

Bump.

3. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Is this last years model? If so, I don't know much about it. If it is the current model, then for some reason most people here have the 47" model, which is the same as the 56" only smaller. Most everyone with the 47" love it and think it's the most underrated set on the market.

4. EricWilliamMeyers

Dwight,

All I know is that it is the current model listed on Panasonic's website, and I saw the TV at Best Buy. Is the smaller version that people are raving about a projection TV?

Thanks,

Eric

5. Tan_N

Tan_N Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

I dont beleive that the Panny's do the 16:9 "squeeze". It can display 16:9 but not squeeze it.. I have the 51HX41 and I love it... I wouldnt buy a 16:9 set so this was perfect. The built-in line doubler is great for NTSC broadcast, but you really need a progressive scan DVD player. I dont have a progressive scan player and the doubler is horible with slanted lines.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

It'll do the 'squeeze' for 1080i HDTV input only. Not for DVD.

7. Tan_N

Tan_N Stunt Coordinator

Johnny,

could you post a link that says that? I would like to know more.. Thanks..

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

9. Tan_N

Tan_N Stunt Coordinator

Johnny,

Not that I dont trust you but.... There's no mention of "16:9 squeeze" any where for the Pannys. There is a 16:9 display mode that will compress the image to a 16:9 format, but that would compress the blackgrey bars also and the viewed picture would be short and fat. The Panny's Owner's manual clearly states that this mode is "NOT RECOMMENDED" on page 24.

I beleive that the "16:9 squeeze" that most people refer to is like the one's that the sony HDTV 4:3 sets offer. Those sets would remove the blackgrey bars (trough the DVD player by selecting 16:9 display option) and squeeze the picture down to 16:9 while not making the picture appear short and fat.

There is a mention that you can select 16:9 aspect only if you have a 1080i input, but this would not be considered a "16:9 squeeze".

10. EricWilliamMeyers

Well it sounds like this set doesn't support 16:9 squeeze mode for DVDs. Guess I'll keep looking. Best Buy recently updated their website with the Sony KP-53HS30 so I'm looking into that next. And for what it's worth, a friend works there and is giving me her discount, which could save me 500 - 1000 dollars off the price. It's the only reason I am stubborn about finding a good TV there if I can.

Thanks,

Eric

11. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter