What's new

Considering new fronts (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The upgrade bug has hit, and I'm thinking about picking up some new fronts in the mid-future (1-2 months). I'm currently considering my options, so I thought I'd get some opinions from the fine HTF folks. First, let me list my current setup:
Sony DA3ES Receiver
Axiom M40ti Fronts
Axiom VP150 Center
Axiom M3ti Rears
SVS 16-46 PC+ Sub

When I had a smaller setup in college, I was very happy with my M40s, but now I'm finding them pretty lacking in the mid-range and a tad bright. I know that Dahlquist seems to be the "new" Axiom, and the QX10s look pretty solid. I was also considering sticking with Axiom and upgrading to the M80. Basically I'm just looking to gather some info now. My price range isn't very well defined, but I'd say around $1000 plus or minus a couple hundred.

Any thoughts?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Now I've got a friend at work trying to convince me to go with the B&W 604. I'll have to hunt down a place to audition them, but the review in Sterophile was pretty glowing. Anybody have any thoughts?

FrankHW

Agent
Matt,

I had an Axiom setup almost identical to yours, and bought a pair of Dahlquist QX10s. Fantastic speaker, and a steal especially compared to B&Ws. Somwhere on the forum about 2 years ago I posted a pretty exhaustive review, and from what I've heard the upgraded models are even better than the original. You will ultimately get a second case of upgradeitis to buy the matching center channel, but the VP150 is a great unit for now, and you could always sell it for a decent price.

FWIW, I'm trying to stave off my own upgradeitis and pick up an SVS sub.

Where do you live?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thanks for the thoughts, Frank. Currently I reside in Indiana.

Obviously I lost the SVS upgradeitis battle :D

Now I'm taking a look at Energy's new Reference Connoisseur line-up. In any event, I'm going to have to travel to audition anything. Lafayette has no good speaker retailers.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
AV123.com just put up their 750's and also 750 packages up at unreal prices if that interests you take a look.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
PSB Stratus Silver

You may have to blow the budget a bit or look used here or at the gon. But damn, I have heard these speakers and they are #1 on my list at a sub $1,500 speaker.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Ascend Acoustics. We had the 340s at an internet direct get together last fall and nearly everyone liked the Ascend 340 over the Axiom M60 that was there.

Mids are where the 340 really shines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks