What's new

Considering GR AV3s, here come the questions. (1 Viewer)

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas, Some how you still manage to through in some kind of untruth in there and twist things.

For starters.

Now this is the most true statement that you have made.

I agree.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, that was embarrassing. Sorry I brought up the TL subject. Can't we all just be friends. Speaker designers will always have disagreements. Let's accept that and keep such discussions straightforward and factual. Us neophytes can learn from such discussion. I sense some old hurts here. Those things can fester beyond reason. I suggest you guys have a private, respectful exchange and at the end respect each other and agere to disagree on acoustic design points. You guys have too much to offer the DIY world to avoid good design discussions. This reminds me of the "discussions" between DanW and the SVS guy 4 years ago.

If anyone is still reading at this point, here's an indoor pic of my new towers:
http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/AV3-01.jpg
;)
The tower to the left is my 4-yr old SCH tower.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor

I'm still here. Those speakers look even more impressive after harvesting. I must say I would love to build a set of Av3s if I cold get them to look like that.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Hank, those look awesome! How much of a secret is your secret oil recipe? ;) Also, do you get your rosewood veneer locally or from Tape-Ease? If from Tape-Ease, is that the rosewood with "Mostly Dark" or with "Color Variation" like the website denotes?

[sad]...I'm not even going to acknowledge the "OTHER" post in this thread...[/sad]

Justin, glad to see you stuck around!

Ronnie

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
So, now that I've established that either the HE 10.1s or AVs look good to me.

I guess its a matter of sound that will decide. I think the AV3s are more refined but I think the 10.1s would be better for my taste in music.

Hank, how do you find rock music on your AV3s?

I should include that for the price of AV3s with the sonicaps I could build the 10.1s and have almost enough left over to build a sealed DPL12.

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Hank,

Lovely work as usual from you! :D It's not easy finding veneer that nice!

Not to gloat, but Hank does sometime share his secret recipe with folks if you ask him real nice... he's that kind of gentleman...

Works great on Oak and walnut, too!

~Jon

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Very nice work Hank! :emoji_thumbsup:

Are the tops rosewood as well or something else? I'm just seeing a reflection. I ask becuase I was considering putting a gloss black top plate (similar to the Onix Rockets) on mine.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys!:b
Ronnie: The veneer is from my NOS - it's a 4 x 8 sheet I bought 4 years ago. I buy from TapeEze now, but haven't bought rosewood from them. I'd suggest calling him to ask about his current stock if you want some contrasting figure.
Justin: I'm not a rocker, but I do listen to music at realistic volume levels and wind and percussion instruments played loud are quite distinguishable. Ahh the only downside to DIY speakers - you can't do side-by-side comparisons. But, the other brand would likely play louder for your rock.
Jon: Thanks! I've used Watco Danish oil prior to these cabinets, but I did indeed use new a 3-part formula on these, and it is a bit similar to the Watco.
Mike: The tops are Rosewood also. The extreme low angle view of the top of that cabinet in the photo makes it appear "glossy", which it is not - sort of an optical illusion. The only reason I'd consider something other than veneer on the tops would be if the speakers are placed in harm's way, like by a bar or eating area where someone might set a beverage glass on them and leave a water mark. Remember, oil finish is the poorest protection against liquid spills. But, it's the absolute best-looking finish and really brings out the beauty of wood grain/figure. Sensuous beauty - people can't resist touching the veneer.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
The jury is instructed to ignore the double post by the witness, as he was understandbly, unquestionably, SMITTEN by the Diana Krall Live in Paris DVD that is playing. See below.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor

Loud volume is not really nescessary. My current Paradigm Titans are only 88 dB/w/m and they play plenty loud for me. I looking more for a speaker thats characteristics just make it sound good with rock.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
One thing I think we can actually agree on, is that Hank's speakers are really pretty. :)

Justin, in my limited experience, speakers (and even amplifiers) that have the *ability* to play louder, sound generally better... (more lively, powerful, or something like that) for rock music at reasonable levels. In other words, I think you should go for the HE10s, or Kit281s if you want bass without needing a sub. I think the improvement in midrange quality and general "smoothness" of the GR speakers (compared to, say, Kit281s which I did hear along with A/V-2s) may not be worthwhile for rock music... where size does matter.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Ok, that's pretty much what I was thinking, glad to hear others think the same way.

I'm just wondering about the bass on the 10.1s is like. I was under the impression the 10" mid/woofer would have ample bass but would it be enough to go sub-less for a while?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Justin, the 10" woofer is a pro woofer with a relatively short Xmax, also the box is relatively small for something with that high efficiency. The anechoic response of the HE10.1 in standard form has a -3db point of 65Hz, so it's probably good to 45 or 50Hz if you place them near walls. They should sound reasonably good alone, but I would personally not use this speaker without a subwoofer. The HE12.1 (much larger box) and Kit281 (much lower efficiency and more displacement) seem significantly better as far as bass goes. I'm using my Kit281s full range, and while I would like to add a subwoofer, the bass from these speakers is good enough that it isn't really a priority. They have clean output to 25Hz and a window-shaking capability above 40Hz. I think the performance of the HE12 is similar except they don't go quite as deep.

Of course if you could save a little more money and put together a subwoofer, that would make the HE10.1 and other bass-limited designs much more appealing.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I suppose that will be my route. For the price differences between the 12.1 and 10.1 I've got a good chunk of the price for a DPL 12. I'll try the speakers alone and with my Tempest to see whats best.

Now, all I have to do is get the money for the kit.....

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
And furthermore, regarding the Xmax, StD, motor constuction and maget material affecting the...uh...linear, limited, undistorted VC travel...uh.....

DAMN! I'm SMITTEN!
Received today: "Diana Krall Live In Paris". OMG, I am uber-impressed. Okay, everybody (including our local Austin group) uses "chicks singing" CD's to evaluate systems, particularly speakers. Many are the times I've sat through sessions, forcing my entire body to be still and pay attention to the music, while the rest of the audience is mesmerized, not by the "music", but by the critical listening session, carefully, and oh so surgically delving into the current recording for the least bit of "difference" in the equipment under scrutinty.
Okay, soul-bearing moment: it was NOT her looks, though very nice, and it was not her singing, although engaging, top-shelf and very nuanced. It WAS her piano-playing!!! She is the first young female jazz pianist I've seen/heard, that at her age, has that level of playing maturity. Give her a few more years of jazz development. I do hope that she devotes most of her available hours to her piano-playing. Her fast-paced tempo jazz piano, while at first a complete envelopment, makes one think only of how great she could become. Her acknowledgement of Nat King Cole as the inspiration of that set of music is so spot-on and so self-humbling as to elicit a genuine respect for this young lady. Yes, I am smitten.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Oh hell, Hank's succumbed to the Diana Krall syndrome. I guess I'll have to find a new speaker-building buddy now. :)

I've only heard one of her CD's and I must admit that some of the songs are very nice. I just wish she'd not open her mouth and just PLAY!

Put me down in the "I just don't get it" category.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian boy, just listen to her playing. Get the DVD and watch her fingers, but more importantly, watch the approving, accepting smiles on the faces of the older players during her piano-without-singing solos. They speak volumes. That's what music is all about.

Surely she'd like to live in Austin...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks