What's new

Considering getting an amp...what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Eric Lipp

Agent
Greetings, all.
So, here's the deal. I'm currently running Paradigm Monitor 11 v.3 mains, CC370 center, PhaseTech Teatro 7.5 rears, and Definitive ProSub200, powered by a Yamaha RX-V995 (100wx5).
I'm enjoying this setup immensely.
I'm currently in an apartment, but plan on moving into a house in a few months (no room dimensions to give on that, yet).
Having read a few threads in this forum about the Majesty that is separates, I was considering using the Yamaha as my PreAmp and adding a good Amp to the system.
Budget is around $1500-ish (give or take a few hundred, I guess).

Thoughts?

Regards,
~Eric

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
These topics usually turn into a bunch of people recommending whatever they happen to own themselves, but I suppose a solid recommendation from an owner is better than none at all.

I have a Rotel RMB-1075 (120x5 into 8 ohms) which I'm using with an Anthem AVM 20 preamp and M&K THX speaker setup. The 1075 is able to handle the 4 ohm impedence of my speakers with ease. According to the manual, 4 ohm speakers are acceptable, so I'm not pushing it. I'm also using a Rotel RB-1050 (70x2) to power my two rear center channels for 7.1.

I am consistently impressed by the performance of these amps and would recommend them without hesitation.

I have an old Yamaha RXV-870 that I am using as a pre-amp paired with a Classe CA-101 (about $1500) that works well with my MLs.

My recommendation to you is to try to see if the dealer will let you take the amp home and try it out. See which one works well with your setup.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
IMO the number one thing to look for is a high "damping" factor you want it to be over 500 at a minimum. The Paridigm speakers you have need an amp that will keep them controled. For power I would suggest a min of 150wpc if you are running them "large" or full range, if you are taking the bass off them them 100wpc min (all channels driven) The Rotel mentioned in an earlier post would be a good choice, I use the Rotel 985THX Mk2 5x110 and it does fine. I think damping on the 5 channel Rotels are around 400, the 2 channel Rotels gen are up around 500. If I had it to do over I would not buy a 5 channel amp, instead I would use 2 channel amps and use 3 of them, currently I am moving in that direction.
With high damping you can forget about low impedance speakers, Adcom, Anthem, Rotel, Acurus, Aragon, Parasound to name a few. I would avoid the NAD although a fine amp not for the HT use and your Paradigms impedance problems. Don't consider "headroom" for anything other than a bonus, size your amp with RMS power, with the range in DVDs and CDs it becomes easy to start "clipping" and not realize it causing speaker and or amp damage. Remember it is OK to have too much power but not OK to not have enough.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I just got an amp recently to power my fronts Axiom M60s. They are rated at 8ohm with an 89/db sensitvity and I have them crossedover at 80hz. It would seem like I wouldnt need an amp but it made a HUGE difference. I'm using a Denon 1802 for the preamp. I listened to a few CDs non stop for about a week, before I brought the amp home. The biggest difference was in the bass especially bass guitars. It really gave my speakers a lot of rhythm that they were kind of missing before. It also balanced the speakers they were a little bright before. I didnt notice a huge difference in the size of the soundstage or imaging I always felt like these were pretty good before. I can make out more percussion type instuments in busy music that kind of ran together before. Just about everything I've read positive on this board about using a seperate amp is true. I'm sure if I had a more capable reciever maybe the difference wouldnt have been as noticeable. Being that this is my first amp I wont recommend mine. This was the best upgrade to my system you should definitely give a seperate amp a try.

TerryHenson

Agent
I'm using my Yamaha 3200 to power the rears and added a 4 channel amp for the front 3 channels with the center channel bridged. I'm now a firm believer in "more power"!! The yammie was advertised at 120wpc, but seemed to be straining a bit at higher sound levels, say 90-95db+ running my 4 ohm mains. The amp (ATI-1504) 150wpc is not breaking a sweat at those levels and the sound is much more dynamic and full. I think the damping factor on ATI amps is better than 1000. As far as receivers go, the Yamaha can hold it's own against almost all comers. It's just that power amps only do one thing and receivers can't compete.
For instance the Yamaha is rated at 120Wx6 or 720W, but the power supply is UL rated at 500W, so we know damn well you can't squeeze a sustained 720W out of it. Minus overhead to run the lights and misc., I'm betting I wasn't getting 400W delivered to my 6 speakers on a good day.
On the other hand we have the ATI-1504, very conservatively rated at 150Wx4 or 600W, with one channel bridged it's 150Wx2 and 450Wx1 or 750W. The rated power supply is 1440W. (not a typo!) :)
Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks