Considering Front Projection, A Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Stephen Hopkins, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm considering front projection and have a few questions. First off, the room I'm in is 11' x 12'. The max distance from projector to screen would be about 10', but 7' would work better because 10' would require me to build a floor mount shelf of some sort to put it directly over the couch (can't ceiling mount or wall mount a shelf). I would probably do a DIY screen of some sort, or borrow a portable screen from my mom's school until I can build something better. My sources are a RCA DTC100 HD sat receiver/cable tuner, Bravo D1 scaling DVD player (or Liteon LDV2001 if projector doesn't have DVI), and PS2 gaming console. I would be replacing a RCA D52W20 50" HD set.

My questions are...

1.) What would be an acceptable contrast ratio for daytime viewing w/ external light controlled by dark blinds and possibly a small lamp (60watts) on?

2.) how big (16x9) could my screen be at 10ft and at 7ft w/ the following models... Infocus X1, Panasonic 300U, Panasonic LC67U, Infocus LP250?

3.) Would I be better off with a high contrast ratio (2000:1 ala X1) projector w/ only SVGA resolution, or a lower contrast ratio (300:1 or 400:1 ala the others i mentioned)?

4.) How will HD material look on one of the non-HD projectors? My HD box doesn't allow me to select the output resolution, so I assume everything comes out at 1080i, even non-HD material.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. DavidLM

DavidLM Agent

Alot of your questions are answered on w w w .projectorcentral.com.

Read the reviews and the stats page for each projector has a screen size estimator

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

You may want to consider the Panny 300. I read that your DVd player works great with that projector. The 300 is a short throw projector and you probably wouldn't want to have too big of a screen because of the screen door effect.
    Go to WWW.ecoustics.com, projectorcentral and read up on some of the projectors. With that small of a room you will need to go with a short throw projector.