Considering dual displays...will RADEON™ VE suffice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllenD, Mar 14, 2002.

1. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I was reading CPU mags Feb issue. In the Hard Hat Area, p.36, they had a PC challenge. The challenge was to build a SOHO PC for under $1500. One of the builders chose a RADEON VE for a dual display/crt setup. The mag even has a pic of all the hardware assembled using 2 Samtron monitors.
    Reading the spec (follow link above) it looks like dual display means the card either connects w/a VGA or DVI, instead of dual VGA connections. Am I missing something? Can the RADEON™ VE support dual monitors with VGA connections?
    Thanks

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I think it comes with a DVI to VGA converter.

3. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

4. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I have the Radeon 8500DV and the only difference between the OEM and Retail is the software. The OEM has all the cables and adapters but only comes with drivers and ATI multimedia center software. The price difference between the two was nominal.

5. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Be very careful! First off I was going to get a VE and called around. When I got to the store the VE was not made by ATI and did not have dual monitor support, just the VE chip set. Many companies are selling "ATI powered" cards that don't do the same things the ATI cards do. On the phone I was told the store had the dual VE card, but all they had was a single VGA out "ATI powered" card, after that I was afraid to order it online for fear of the same thing happening. The real ATI cards (VE, 7500, 8500) that have dual outputs have one DVI port and one VGA port. I was unable to find a real retail Radeon VE card, only an OEM version. All the OEM versions of Radeon cards do NOT come with the DVI to VGA adapter. This adapter can be ordered from ATI for $10 plus shipping of about $10. With the adapter you can get 2 VGA plugs that can be connected to 2 regular monitors.

The second reason I didn't get the VE is I was told they are a royal pain to setup and get working. The person I talked to suggested I get the 7500 or 8500. I ended up getting the 7500 at a local store for a final cost of $110. I got a retail version so I got the adapter and I'm up and running with no waiting.

6. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

PS... I checked OEM Radeon VE and several OEM 7500 cards and NONE of them came with the adapter. I've not checked the 8500, so JasenP could be correct about the 8500dv having everything, I can't say.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've got the retail ATI Radeon VE, with 17" and 15" monitors running at different resolutions. I got it for $90 last Fall. It was easy for me to install. It came with a DVI->VGA adapter.

Two problems I've had:

1) Placing the second monitor on the left caused Windows to lose my desktop icon placements, and scatter them on the right side of the primary (right-side) monitor. I tried this several times, and could not get around it. A friend with an older ATI dual-head card has the same problem. Placing the primary monitor on the right, and all is normal.

2) The hydra-vision app, which appears to be a powerful window tool, seems to only work when both monitors run the same resolution.

So, to maximize the benefits, I think you want to have two same-size monitors running at the same resolution. And have the primary monitor be on the left.

Despite the quibbles, I really like it.