What's new

Considering Direct TV and DVR (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Everyone,

We’re considering getting Direct TV with a DVR, and from what I’ve seen on DTV’s website, their DVRs are Tivo based. So I’m trying to figure out if I should go with one that DTV will provide, or just buy my own. Any economic advantage to the latter?

Either case, what’s essential is that I don’t want a silver DVR. Everything else in our system is black, and I want to keep it that way. This is a “make or break” deal. If we can’t get black for Direct TV, we’ll either go with Dish or just keep doing cable TV.

So, can you get a black Tivo DVR from Direct TV, or should I look elsewhere? If elsewhere, then what brand/models?

By the way, we’re getting regular satellite, not HD.

Thanks,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DirecTV hasn't updated their site. If you order from them, there is a very good chance you will get the R15 DVR which runs software from NDS. If you want a receiver running Tivo software (and you do), then you need to pick up an R10 from your local electronics store or order from an internet vendor like Value Electronics.

If you want a black DVR, then go get a can of black spray paint. There have been a few 'how-to' threads at the Tivo Community. There hasn't been a black DirecTV DVR for sale in the last four years. They are all silver.

-Robert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks Robert and Charlie. I actually did a search on the Tivo forum this morning and came up with those same two threads!

Robert,

I can’t tell from your post which is preferable, an R10 or R15? I get the impression from a link I found after Googling “nds r15” that the main difference between the two is that the R10 is more user friendly.

For anyone who wants to answer, I’d still like to know if it’s better to buy my own Tivo or just use whatever DTV provides. The one pictured at their site doesn’t appear to be a R10 or R15.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ian

Agent
The DirecTV website only shows the R15 DVR. However, if search for TiVo, it will take you to the R15.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you have never used a DVR, the the R15 will probably be a great DVR. Same thing if you came from a starving 3rd world country, McDonald's will be great. I'm a Tivo user. DirecTV just happens to provide SD and HD content to my DVR's. I will stay with D* until their HD national feeds go to MPEG4 and then I'll evaluate their current DVR situation. By then Comcast will be using Tivo powered DVR's and Tivo will have their cablecard version out. Either way I'll have Tivo choices.

For more reading, try the thread non TiVO DVR is HORRIFIC over at Tivo Community. It gives good information about the new R15 but it also shows how loyal some people are to Tivo.

-Robert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for the links, everyone.

I found a rear-panel picture of an R10 on eBay, and I’m surprised to find it doesn’t have component video outputs. What’s up with that??? It also appears to have two sets of antenna connections (in/out) - ? And I’m not sure there is a digital output.

http://www.rswpartner.com/showimage....4806/3330C.jpg

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bottom right connection behind the gray door. Just to the left are 2 USB connections. What are they used for you ask. They were put there so people would ask that very question. If you have a series 2 model, then you can "upgrade" the software to activate them and take advantage of some Tivo features. If you have an R10 (series 2.5), then you have to change a chip out on the board before the software "upgrade" will work.

-Robert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, thanks to the great info we got from Robert and others here, we went with Direct TV and the R10 Tivo.

Even though we’re “third world country” as far as DVR’s go, our tastes are definitely too refined for McDonalds. :D (referencing Robert’s earlier post) There was enough negative noise about the R15 on the Tivo Community Forum to convince me that we didn’t want one. We ordered an R10 from New Egg and the installers came out a few days ago, just in time to get cable shut off by the end of the month. :) My wife already has it all figured out – which is only fitting, since this was all her idea! :D As soon as the warranty expires, I’ll look into painting it black. :emoji_thumbsup:

I have noticed some deficiencies (or perhaps peculiarities) compared to the cable service and our broadcast antenna; I may open a new thread discussing them in a few days.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks