What's new

Considering Denon 3803, Newcastle R863, Outlaw 1050 (1 Viewer)

Eric Boudreau

Auditioning
The Newcastle costs twice as much as the Outlaw, is it worth the difference?

Is the Denon a worthwhile step up from the Outlaw?

I'm looking for both good 2 channel sound and good HT. I certainly prefer uncluttered devices, I rarely use any of the whistles and bells. I'm somewhat sensitive to high's (undoubtedly I've damaged my hearing) and really need a smooth sound. Going with a receiver that has pre-outs might be good so that I can add tube amps down the road!

I've ordered a pair of Axiom M80's. If I like them I'm going to get the VP150 center and QS8 rears.

An SVS sub is also on my list.

Thanks.

-Eric

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Of the three go with the Denon 3802.

As for the Outlaw 1050 it does not have the latest features (PL II and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1) and in DTS mode you cannot apply their proprietary 6.1 decoding mode. A big oversight.

I outfitted my neighbor with a 3802 for her theater and it does a bang up job. DTS-ES is pretty darn cool too.

Now, if you have a larger room you might need to add outboard amplification at a later date for more oomph!

Dan

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Denon 3803
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
When did that come out?

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke with a representative from Denon and he informed me that the scheduled release of the 3803 is planned for August of this year (don't be surprised if it's later) also he told me that the whole product line of Denon receivers will receive the 03 designation.

He would not divulge any changes but did hint that on the 3803 and down the changes would be minimal.

Harley

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
He would not divulge any changes but did hint that on the 3803 and down the changes would be minimal.
I would hope one of those changes would be the addition of the volume setting to the on screen display. I had a 3801, and now have a 3802. I absolutely love it. But my biggest gripe is that the volume display is almost impossible to read from my seating position, and it doesn't display on the main screen.

Other than that minor gripe, the 3802 is one of the best receivers on the market at its price point. Performance wise, you really can't get much better. Other receivers have more bells and whistles, but none can match the output power and digital processing of the Denon.

Bryan

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Sherwood Newcastle could go toe-to-toe with the Denon. The 963 can be had for around $1,000 on ebay. I know its a step up from the 863, but everything I've heard said they're aswesome. Go to the AVS forum and private e-mail bioforce, he is an installer, and gets a good price, and highly recommends them.

J

John Morris

I would absolutely take the SN R-963 over the Denon 380?. At the sub $1100 price point, the R-963 is an absolute steal IMO.

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to be the only one in the universe (or on this Forum) that owns a Sherwood R-863. It was $799 before shipping. True it's a step down from the R-963 but it's a step up from the Denon and the Outlaw, IMHO.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know how the Denon 3802 compares to the Newcastle, but my Newcastle R-945MKII easily bested the Denon 3300 for 2 channel audio. If you are sensitive to high's I'd skip the Denon. I felt the 3300 was too bright for my tastes and the midrange was very flat.

Brian

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
As for the Outlaw 1050 it does not have the latest features (PL II and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1) and in DTS mode you cannot apply their proprietary 6.1 decoding mode. A big oversight.
I never owned the Denon 3802. A local retailer did a demo for me. There was no comparison between the Denon and the SN R-863. The R-863 sounds better and shares some of the same components as the R-963. And then there's the Denon warranty issue...

John Garn

Agent
If you want an uncluttered unit a Denon is the last thing I'd consider....their front panel layout is the most confusing arrangement I've seen....

Second, if you want good 2 channel stereo from a receiver you need to find a unit that is US designed.....sorry, but our popular friends to the west just never learned how to design anything in the hifi business well--cars yes, but they're mechanical....for my money, buy Sherwood and with them you won't have any warranty problems either!!

HK overall is a better designed unit than most....their internals are heftier and better sounding....not sure tho where they are designed.

For under a $1000, your choices with these two criteria are very limited since most are foreign designed.

Good Hunting!

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I have the PDF two page brochure for the Newcastle 963 and don't see any reference regarding firewire upgradeability...

Ed Haze

Agent
I guess I will chime as one the few r-863 owners. I have only had this unit for about 2 weeks, but I could not be happier. Without a demo, I took a chance and picked this up because I was offered a deal that made me forget about the Denon. How does $685 delivered sound?! The risk is well worth the reward. This piece would probably fall between the 3802's warmness and the brightness I heard in the Yamahas. Overall, the sound is wonderful both in the 'Direct' mode for Stereo and in HT situations. Pro Logic II is also a nice surprise. Quick hits on what I like: the power is clean and plentiful to push my Infinity Reference Sixes(but I plan to move on to Paradigm 40s or 60s soon), the feature list is great with Video labelling and On screen display, the remote is fantastic, and it looks even better than the pictures. If I were playing cards, Newcastle dealt me a hand of all Aces!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks