Considering CSW Newton T300 6.1 Speaker System: Comments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thad_C, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

I've been lurking in this forum for a while, searching for ideas for an HT system around $2000 (excluding receiver). I'm considering the Cambridge Soundworks Newton Theater system w/ T300 towers, but have not heard them--I'll just return them if I don't like them (around $1700 w/ discount at hifi.com). In fact, I'm planning to check out a few alternatives this weekend (perhaps Paradigm, if my budget will permit). Does anyone have any comments on CSW system? I've also checked out Axiom, but I haven't heard them (and probably won't have the opportunity, as I live in Chicago). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OT: I'll also need a receiver, and CSW is offering the Marantz SR7200, which, based on HTF user comments, has had some problems in the past. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your comments! This forum is incredible for those of us who are Newbies.

Thad

2. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

I forgot to mention-- I'm considering, specifically, the Paradigm Phantom or Legends. Thanks!

3. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Thad,

I am a big fan (and owner) of cambridge soundworks speakers, but I would not buy the T300 towers. The mid range sticks on them and the built in subs are "boomy". If you are set on Towers, then I would go with their original Tower speakers. They have a very good soundstage and when mixed with a good sub (SVS of course), they cover all of the bases. I have their centerstage center speaker and their Newton S300 surrounds (4 of them) with an Onkyo 989 receiver and SVS 20-39 PC sub.

My second favorite speaker of theirs is the MC300. These actually have a very good sound to them and the price is right. I have heard these with their small sub (the one that is $999) and they sounded awesome. I can only imagine how they would sound with a SVS. The nice thing about these speakers, is you can have three identical speakers across the front for a seamless soundstage.

Just my .02 worth.

Good luck in your choice

Dave

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

An alternative would be 3 MC500's up front. These are basically T500's without the built in sub and they sound unbelievable. You can pick them up on sale for $250 each. Coupled with S300's in the rear and an SVS sub and you would have an absolutely amazing system for around $2,000 complete.

5. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

I agree, I have 3 MC300's across the front, S300's in the back and a 4th MC300 for rear center.

They are awesome sounding speakers; everyone who hears them can’t believe they are made by CSW.

I also have a pair of P1000 subs up front. They might not move the air like SVS can, but they do a decent job.

I'm sure a system built with MC500's would be insane

6. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

The P1000 is a very good sounding sub. If I couldn't have a SVS, that would be my next choice. The only knock on it is that it is a little pricey for the performance. One SVS 20-39 has about the same output as 2 of the P1000's, and the 20-39 goes a little deeper. Other than that, that is a great setup. How big of room do you have and what receiver are you driving them with?

7. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

Dave,

I have my system in a 14' x 19' room

Onkyo 797

Panasonic RP-56

Sony KP-53HS30

Monster HTS3500

I still have a bunch of things to try (I love to tweak, as we all do ;-)

I have the MC300’s wall mounted but I can feel/hear what I think is too much vibration being transmitted to the wall, so I want to try placing some Sorbothane pads under the feet and around the screw they hang from to decouple them from the wall.

I need a BFD for the subs, I have some hotspots that are annoying me and the single parametric EQ on the controllers isn’t enough, I need like 3 more filters to get it flat.

Still not sure which mode I like best for the S300’s but I keep them, in bipole most of the time.

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thad, I have the CSW Newton series speakers as well. Instead of MC300s across the entire front, one can also look at the bookshelf series. I had to have front speakers that were