What's new

Considering buying older sub? any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Canada, and buying a sub online can get alittle expensive after shipping/handling, exchange,duty, etc. So i have been checking out some new and used stuff. In my local paper, a guy is selling a Klipsch 12" sub for $225. It is 5 years old. I was looking at them new and up here they are $669, and they look the same.Is a 5 year old sub worth buying?(last another 5 years), or should i save my pennys and wait to buy a new one. I want a decent sub, but i don't want to buy something if it's lifespan is running out. What would you guys do? If it sounds good buy it?
Thanks in advance!

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Yeah I would listen to it first. Do a thourogh checkup on it and make sure its in good condition. Usually most speakers can last for 10 years or more!

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
10 years eh!. That's good to keep in mind. Another thing, i don't know if there is an easy answer to this but, which sub would rock the house more? a 10"/200amp or a 12"/150amp

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I just sold and delivered in person today my 5 year old Def Tech 15" sub to a buyer who wanted a good used sub for low cash. I sold it for $300. The new price was $700.
He got a great deal as the sub was nick free and after I put a damp cloth to the outside cabinet and cleaned up the terminals, etc., it looked as new. It may have had 5 years of use on it (I'm not a bass head so it was treated properly and not overdriven), but it should last at least 5 more good years. Most likely more than that.

If you buy a quality built product, in good to excellent shape, then you should have years of good enjoyment ahead. The trick is to recognize if the gear has been treated with resale in mind. Some guys just beat the shit out of their stuff. Not good stuff to buy :*(. Pick your sellers carefully. Especially with subs, the +1 pig of the pentacle, the propensity to abuse is heightened by its given role in the HT setup.
But good gear has a longer lifespan if treated with respect. That goes without saying......

BOK

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
A used sub can be a good value. The only "but" is the fact that subs take a pounding because they are usually driven hard. This places stress, mostly on the driver, and it is very hard, if not inpossible to look for damage unless something is already broken.

Still and all, for the ammount of money you would be saving, it could very well be worth the risk.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

Amplifier wattage and driver size, alone, cannot tell you how a sub, or any speaker for that matter, performs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks