Considering building Tempest Adire Alignment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_T, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hi,

I've recently been mulling over a HT upgrade and one of the items is the sub. I have a room that is about 12' X 15' but one end is completely open to the rest of the house so decent SPL is needed to feel the music/effects. I posted a question on the Speaker/Subwoofer forum and Dustin suggested a DIY sub project. I build furniture for a hobby and have a complete woodshop so this was a great idea that I feel totally comfortable doing.

I just wanted some feedback or suggestions from all you here in this forum.

I'm considering (Dustin's suggestions) the Adire AVA250 and 15" Tempest with the Adire Alignment. The single problem I have which will be there no matter what I end up doing is "Wife acceptance factor". Not the low cost of ~$300.00 for parts but the size of the beast.

Could I get some comments from those that have built this configuration? Also, any hints on a smaller enclosure? Would I be ok with a 12" if I had to downsize to please the wife? I'm afraid with all the open space in my room I'll have to stick with the 15" not that that's bad, just gotta convince the wife.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. I'm considering disguising the sub as a hutch with a raised panel front and top in kind of a shaker design.

Thanks.

Darren

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

or you could go the opposite route and show her all the biggest/ugly subs you can find. then say, "look honey, our sub is gonna look ten times better and be half the size of big-ugly-sub-x".

as for smaller, with a 15"er at least 2 dimensions have to be > or = ~17". so....

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Good plan but my wife is pretty hip to what's out there. She enjoys going with me when I'm auditioning equipment. She'd love nothing more than to have a dedicated home theater room but we don't have the space in our current house. She is also good at calling BS on me [​IMG]
    I'm kind of selling her on the "Faux shaker hutch" concept I'm forming in my mind. The big factor is the 37.5" height. The footprint isn't as big an issue. Our current sub has a 16" square footprint and is an ugly black box but is hidden because it's relatively short. The 37.5" is gonna be hard to hide without being a bit stealthy.
    I could however find a big ugly one and beg for it for about a week then come home one day and say "Look what I could build myself instead for 1/3 the price and with beautiful wood finish". Yeah, your plan may work with a bit of modification.
    Darren

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I did some measuring last night and it's gonna be a tight fit if I build the Adire Alignment. Not giving up yet on that configuration but was wondering if I could get a few questions answered.

1. I've never had a down-firing sub. Are they more, less, or similar in room placement sensitivity compared to a traditional front firing sub?

2. To what brand/model sub could a close comparison be made with this configuration? Is that a reasonable question??? Just wondering what I should expect if I build this sub.

3. If I were to change the dimensions but kept the same volume...say I were to make it shorter by increasing the depth...would the performance of the sub change much?

4. The Sealed box Mid Q Alignment is much smaller in size and may be a better fit in my room. What are the pro's and con's between this and the Adire Alignment vented design? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about sub dynamics.

Thanks for any input.

Darren

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

1. The sound will be the same. It might save you some height if you made it front firing, but you would probably want a grill for it.
    2. The Tempest is a great driver. Depending on the final alignment you choose, it would be comparable with subs costing thousands of dollars, if not better. [​IMG]
    3. For the most part, the shape doesn't matter. The internal volume is all you need.
    4. A sealed Tempest won't produce the extreme low end output that is possible with a vented alignment. However, room gain may make up quite a bit of the difference. I personally think a sealed Tempest sounds better, which is what I have. I had a .7Q sealed Tempest and then built a sealed .6Q dual Tempest. Did I mention I really liked it.[​IMG]
    Pete

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

1) Agree with Pete. Change the config for whatever suits your needs. If you want it front firing just tip the design in the paper 90 degrees and remove the legs.

2) Displacement wise the Tempest is comparable to an SVS Ultra (we don't know the exact number for the Ultra but we figure it is around 2.5L, the Tempest is 2.55L, the PCi/CS is 1.5L) but requires less power.

3) Agree with Pete. Net internal volume is all that matters, change it to whatever you want. Just make sure you leave enough room for the port, and don't let any dimesion exceed 5.5ft by too much or you'll end up with standing wave problems in the enclosure.

4) What Pete said again. But I have a 260L Tempest tuned to 16hz with a single 6" port (basically halfway between an Adire allignment and EBS allignment) and I love it. Did I mention I love it :p)

8. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Thanks for the information guys. Couple last questions and I think I'll be ready to go for it. Gonna stick with the Adire alignment with modified dimensions while maintaining speced volume.

1. Should I just order the Adire SV Sub-V Vented kit? with an extra 3" flared port or are there better prices for the same stuff elsewhere?

PE AVA250 amp = $119
    Tempest DVC 15" = $150

-kit = $45
    --1 PSP vent 3"
    --1 metal grille
    --one biwire input terminal cup
    --10 feet of w14 two conductor 14GA OFC rope lay cable
    --8 8-32 T-Nuts
    --8 8-32X1.25 black oxide socket cap screws
    --4 8" tie wraps

-Extra 3" flared port kit $19

Kit Total = $64 + tax and shipping (I live in Seattle so tax is applicable)

Combined total = $333 plus shipping for components

I'm going to have to buy batting also of course. Isn't it the same stuff they sell at fabric stores...the poly stuff in comforters...looks like insulation but white and airy?

Thanks.

Darren

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Give Kyle at Acoustic Visions a call. All the mounting hardware and wiring can be purchased at Home Depot pretty cheap. See what Kyle can do for you in reguards to driver, amp and flared ports (he is an Adire and Parts Express dealer).

If you want to give up 0.1L of Vd and go to a slightly smaller enclosure you could get the Dayton DVC15", PE 300-794, 15" grille and a pair of the PSP 3" flared ports from him. These will also be a little cheaper.

Or he can get you all the Adire stuff, at maybe a slightly reduced price. Or you could mix and match the Tempest with the amp, port flares and grille from PE.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer