Considering building another Tempest.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Justin Ward, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Currently I have my one SBB4 Tempest. I don't think I will be able to upgrade the main speakers of my HT because it would require a complete overall(which I can't currently afford). ie: If I upgrade my Titans to Studio 20s the timbre match would be terrible so I would have to upgrade all speakers.

So anyway heres the plan. Thinking of building a sealed sub for music mostly. But I would also play it for movies for the extra output.

Here are my questions:
    1) I've heard that corner loading two subs will give you 6dB more than a single. Does this only apply to identical subs/enclosures or will I still get a 6dB boost by having a sealed Tempest join my SBB4 in the corner?

2) I may be able to get a small dedicated HT room in the loft of our garage:b ) An IB sub would be a real possibility. How would a dual Tempest IB setup compare to that two above models combined?

3) If I went IB could I keep adding more Tempests if budget permits?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Agent

Justin, I'm not an expert, but I'll try my best.

1) You probably wouldn't gain a solid 6 dB. If you ran the sealed amp a little 'hotter' then the vented (to make up for the extra output of the vented enclosure) You'd probably gain close to 6-- although, as the frequencies got lower and lower, you'd start to loose that from the earlier roll-off of the sealed enclosure.

Now, I'm not to certain about the quality aspect. Your two subs are going to have quite different group delays. Honestly, I'm not to certain how that'd go.

2) Probably not as much raw output, but most likely a much better match. With them in the IB, you wouldn't have to worry about the different enclosures. You'd probably get a much tighter sound, and quite a bit of low end output. Then you could run both with music, in the case that you really wanted some serious grunt, you'd definatly have that capability.

3) Definatly. As long as you have the amp power to go with them. Careful though, if you start adding to many more, you've gotta wonder if it'd be economicly 'smart' If you add, say 3 more to your one, the 3 extras would probably be close to the cost of a tumult. I don't think anyone's done a tumult IB yet, and honestly, in an IB I think 4 tempests would outdo a tumult and a tempest.

I hope someone else chimes in, as I'm not entirly sure of any of this.

3. Justin Ward

Yeah I was thinking about saving up for a Tumult instead. But I think in an IB the Tempests would be better. Higher sensitivity and better cost/diplacement ratio. If I was going to build a small box sub the Tumult would probably be first choice though.

Since MDF is cheap I will probably build a sealed Tempest in the near future. That way when I move away to a dorm/apartment I will have a sub I can bring along with me(the 194L SBB4 is a little huge).

How much amp power would be needed to use a dual Tempest IB setup to its full capabilities?

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Take a look at Dayton's 15" IB drivers at PE. With a Qts of .64 and single 8 ohm VC, they seem better suited for IB use.

250W is all that's needed for 2 Tempest IB, but for 2 you'll have a 2 or 8 ohm load. 2 Daytons will give you a 4 ohm load.

Pete

5. Justin Ward