What's new

Considering bookshelf but worried about two year old. (1 Viewer)

Tan_U

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure someone out there has had to deal with this problem. Did the toddler learn not to mess with it, I don't know how many drops those speakers can take, also most of them don't have the medal covers.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
If you're looking for a bookshelf-sized speaker with metal grills, try looking at indoor/outdoor speakers. They're designed to be tougher since they need to be able to resist the elements outside. I have a pair by Altec Lansing and they have metal grills (I bought them off a friend of mine, so I have no idea where you can look for them; sorry).

Also, whatever you end up getting, try mounting them to your wall up high. It'd also be a good idea either to run the speaker cable up high as well (along the corner of the wall and ceiling) or through the wall so it can't get pulled on.

Hope this helps!

Tan_U

Stunt Coordinator
I havn't thought of outdoor speakers, That should probably work, but I don't really like the look of putting the front speakers on the wall. but thanks for the great suggestion.

CRyan

Screenwriter
VELCRO! It is perfect for this. Although, I am not sure what you are placing these on. Place it on the bottom of the speaker and the surface you are mounting the speaker to.

Now, if you are worried about the speaker "stand" falling, then I am not sure what to say execpt get something more sturdy to place the speakers on.

C. Ryan

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm just impressed that his first priority was the wellness of his speaker... :D
just kidding tan...

Brian Tuttle

Auditioning
If you are putting the bookshelf speakers on actual shelves, get some Blu-Tack adhesive compound. Look for it at your local A/V store (look for a specialty and not chain store) or you can find it online at www.audioadvisor.com under the accessories section.
I bought it for my speaker stands as well as my center channel speaker (Paradigm CC370) that weighs 25lbs. You can use as little or as much adhesive as you'd need but I have 3 pea-size balls under my center and it takes quite a bit of force to pull it off. The beauty is that it will come off without hurting the finish on whatever you put it on. Plus it also acts as a damping compound between your speakers and the stands.
I thought of using velcro as well, but the adhesive on that will either leave a residue and/or pull the finish off my stand & speaker.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Considering bookshelf but worried about two year old
And so you should be. I have 3 boys that are currently aged 6, 5, and 2. My former bookshelf speakers were on 32" stands. One day I heard a rattle sound come from the inside of one of the speakers. Upon investigation, I found my eldest son (2 at the time) had decided the speaker needed additional stuffing. I had to remove the driver from the box to get the brush, legos, fork, and other items out of the box.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'd be more concerned about a toddler punching through a woofer on a floorstanding speaker. You may want to weigh down the base of the stand as much as possible to prevent tipping (or build a custom stand).

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
And it dosen't necessarily get any better as the kids get older, I've found. Last year, we made the mistake of leaving our 18 year old alone at home for a week while the rest of family took a trip. When we returned, found a variety of problems including evidence that BOTH of the bookself speakers used as part of our HT system had been knocked off their stands. Fortunately, the speakers (and adjacent walls) suffered only minor dings. Actually, that turned out to be among the least of the problems we discovered apon our return. Heck, even my prized 5' Northern Pine Snake was loose in the house. (Fortunately, we found it in good health about a week later).

Haven't left the house unattended since!!!!

marc seals

Agent
You might want to look at the Boston Acoustics "CR" series of bookshelf speakers. All of them have metal grills that are a bear to get off or on. Should take care of the little fingers nicely!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks