Considering B&W 602s....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdwinL, Sep 18, 2002.

1. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering a pair of B&W 602s for straight 2 channel music, no movies, nothing more. What else would you suggest that could compete with these for under $600? Of course the biggest concern is sound quality/clarity, but looks do come into play.

Thanks for the HELP!

Ed

2. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

What gear will you hook the B&W 602s with?

The B&W's are detailed and accurate speakers so it's best to match it to warm sounding gear like a Marantz receiver in my case.

Anyway, I have the 601S3's and I'm totally happy with it. The 602's have deeper bass but the 601's are just right for my room. Try bi-wiring them too since I see a slight improvement in clarity using two speaker wires. Finally, don't use cheap 16ga wire.

Have fun.

3. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

SO what size/type/brand wire should i use with them?

Umm, an NAD C370. I plan to buy a higher end CD player (more than likely a NAD also) in 6 months.

AND....... I never understood this 'warm' sound. I mean, what does 'warm' sound like? Is it cushiony... like maybe a bean-bag sort of feeling on your ears... or is it more like a the touch of like a medium fluffed pillow?

Thanks, HELP ME OUT!

ED

4. Myki Cantero

Hi Ed,
    I started out with super cheap 16-gauge generic copper wire since I didn't believe wire can make a difference.
    I then tried bi-wiring with my 16-gauge wires and I (and my friend) heard an improvement. B&W speakers are bi-wirable.
    I then decided to get cheap 12-gauge Acoustic Research copper wires (check out www.araccessories.com). These are thicker and this time, the improvements were dramatic. Of course, you will only hear the difference in music and with a properly recorded CD.
    Just recently, my friends kept bugging me to change my wires so I upgraded to IXOS 6003 wires. There is slight or no difference to my AR wires.
    Since these are all cheap wires, I would go for the IXOS 6003. Stay away from the boutique cables that cost around $100/meter.
    I only know and use 2 adjectives for music... bright and warm. Bright is when it sounds tinny, high, detailed, etc. I can get a headache if I listen to it for a long time.
    Warm is more of musical, vocal, violin-type, encompassing type of sound. Too warm, and it sound muffled already, since you have less detail (the sound of cymbals seem tame).
    People have different preferences but if you get bright speakers with bright equipment... ouch!

5. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

So are they (602s/B&W bookshelves) bright or warm? I personally enjoy a nice warm sound, but admire a cymbal that lingers when it's SUPPOSE too.

Thanks for the help Myki.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    B&W is an excellent combination for NAD gear. 602S3 is a great speaker, a little light on bass, but very accurate in the midrange. I prefer the CDM-1NT though, but they cost quite a bit more MSRP. They can be found used now and again, but still not usually in the $600 range.
    Other speakers in the price range? I feel I would have to recommend GR Research's AV1. You can probably get them for a little less than $600/pr and I doubt you will be able to find many better speakers in this price range for music.

7. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Paradigm Studio 40's compete against them directly in my opinion.

The Studio's have more bass and are clean, I'd say the B&W's are flatter, they go low it's just not as noticeable since they are so flat.

8. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

The 602s need a lot of power to be at their best (ie. to power their 7inch woofers).
    They won't be "light" in the bass if you power them adequately.

9. EdwinL

EdwinL Stunt Coordinator

I would think that the 120W from the NAD C370 would suffice. My only concern is that I've heard the dynamics of the unit are terrific, and that there are better ones out there for the price of the C370. Is this true? I had originally planned on buying a marantz sr6200/sr7200, but thought that I would have little to no use (at least right now) for the multichannel capabilities. I strictly sticking to stereo music, where I expect/want as much fidelity as i can afford for the price range of the 370 (roughly $600-650).

Remarks are welcome!

Thanks

Ed

10. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't be too worried about the bass capability of the 602's. Bass response is dependent alot of distance from walls. So move toward or away to suit your tastes. My 602's powered by a 3802 has plenty of bass. Enough that I don't have to cross over with a sub... just pure direct mode and the bass is solid. Just a note... having a monitor 2-way monitor go way low may not necessarily be good. The more one mid/bass driver has to play lower, the bigger chance that the midrange will be compromised. It's better for a monitor to be good at what it does (high freq, midrange + mid bass) and not try to be a subwoofer. Anyways.. you might want to try the 602's with a tube amp. I ran mine with a 50Watt jolida (Sovtek EL34's) and sounded very nice.

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

12. Herman S

Herman S Agent

I own the 602 S3 and I love them more everyday I listen to them, especially now that they have "broken in". I also listen to the Paradigms mentioned in a previous post and they do come close, however, I feel the construction of the 602 S3 is far superior. (It also looks so much cooler with the front covers off. Not that it should be the deciding factor.) I have a Marantz 8200 powering them, so they complement each other perfectly. Good Luck.

13. Myki Cantero

DVD-Audio and SACD is just around the corner. I would definitely invest in a unit that would be capable of it even if I'll only be using it in a year or two.

I have a DVD-Audio player and I'm always amazed at multichannel. You'll be distracted at first, but once you listen to some more, you'll realize that it's just another way for the artist to express themselves.

Also, for multicahnnel music, it would be best if you have the same speakers all around like what the mixers do in their sound booths.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I auditioned the 602S3 with NAD separates and a NAD CD player, with no tone adjustments, full range, no sub, in a very nicely built listening room. Low bass is not amazing from these speakers, but it is tight and accurate, giving the midrange plenty of kick and life. Male vocals sounded great. Low response is 49Hz, which is good for a speaker of this size, but is not ridiculously low.
    Let me complicate things [​IMG] :
    In that price range, you can get the NHT SB3. Smaller than the 602s, and is sealed so the bass is very tight and accurate but it is still capable of ~39Hz! The other thing, they are one of the best looking cabinets (black piano lacquer) I have ever seen!