Considering B&W 601's - Have a few questions for you guys

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChaseHanna, Jul 20, 2002.

1. ChaseHanna

ChaseHanna Stunt Coordinator

I visited a local dealer and really enjoyed the sound of the B&W speakers they had to offer. I got a price estimate on the 303's since I thought those would be the ones within my budget. Now I have decided to splurge a little bit and upgrade to the 601's. Here are my questions:

Should I go with 601's in the front as well as 601's in the rear or should i drop to 600's?

Should I go with 5 601's or two pair and the LCR60 center?

How will the 601's sound with my Denon 3802?

Should I bi-wire my 601's? If so, recommend some cables.

And finally but most importantly, how much should I try and haggle with my dealer? Im not sure what an acceptable price for the 601's is since there are no internet dealers. Could some of you who own these or have considered these tell me what price to shoot for? My dealer offered me $270 per pair for the 303's which seemed pretty good, maybe he will deal on the 601's.

Thanks guys, like always youre a tremendous help.

2. ChaseHanna

ChaseHanna Stunt Coordinator

Forgot to add the following:

Room size: 12' x 15' x 8'
    Sub: SVS 25-31PCi
    Taste: 40% music/ 2 Movies / 40% TV and PS2

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Should I go with 601's in the front as well as 601's in the rear or should i drop to 600's?

The same speaker all around would be nice, but 600's (in the rear) will do well too. Depends on your budget.

Should I go with 5 601's or two pair and the LCR60 center?

Matched speakers is ideal. If you have a direct-view tv a 601 placed vertically won't look so great and the tweeter would be pretty high if it's above the tv. Matched is great for front projection setups but the LCR60 is probably a better choice.

How will the 601's sound with my Denon 3802?

Great.

Should I bi-wire my 601's? If so, recommend some cables.

No. Just be sure to use at least 14 or 12 gauge wire.

4. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

If you don't mind the aesthetics of a bookshelf above your tv (if not a Front PJ)... I'd go 601's all around. That'll give the best sound uniformity. The problem with the 601's tweeter being too high for the center channel can be alleviated by turning the speaker upside down. That way the tweeter will be very close to the tweeter level of the mains. I don't think this will be deterimental to the speaker or its performance... but if it is, someone please correct me.

I wouldn't go 600's... When I compared them, there was a comparable difference between the 600 and 601. Less differences between the 601 & 602.

Biwire.... I didn't. I just went 12 gauge.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have three 602s in the front. If you can accomodate a non-video shielded speaker, I highly recommend that you go with three identical speakers in the front. If the current 601 is like my 602 and 601S2 speakers you can invert the speaker and put the grille on so that it looks juet like the others (B&W on top in the right direction).

Take a look at my HT page (click on the little green house above this post) to see what three 602s look like in a room. I don't think it's a problem at all. I went from a CC6 to the 602 in the center and the difference was dramatic (and the CC6 is a pretty good speaker).

6. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I recently bought a system that has 602's in front and LM1's in the rear. Here's the web page: B&W LM1's
    My room is pretty much the same size as yours and I'm very happy with my purchase. I mounted the LM1's up on the walls
    behind the couch and I think they make nice surrounds.
    The dealer 'gave me 20% off' due to the fact that I bought S2 speakers. The S3's were in the pipeline and they were trying to clear out the S2's.
    I bi-wired the fronts and can honestly say that I did not notice a difference.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Lew thanks, I forgot to mention that. I tried biwiring too and didn't notice a difference either.

8. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I have 601's in front, and an LCR60 center. I'm very happy with it. I plan to upgrade my Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's at the rear to 601's as well. Or if I get extra money, and if the wife agrees on having monster size bookshelves, then I'll get a 602 and put the 601 at the back. But the 601 looked more decent since I have a small living room.

B&W designed the LCR60 to match the 601. It's also shielded so you can place it near the TV.

I also bi-wired the speakers using cheap Acoustic Research 12ga. copper wires. I plan to change my 16ga. wires at my rear to 12ga. as well. I also noticed a slight improvement when I bi-wired. But before, when I was using cheap 16ga., there was a big improvement bi-wired.

I paid $300 for my 601 S3, and $230 for my LCR60.

9. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

I personally feel there is little need to match the surrounds with the front speakers. Plus, the location of rear speakers and your listening position are not designed to take advantage of the price you paid to get speakers that image as well as 601s or 602s. Surround speakers are designed for sound effects and ambiance, not dialogue, and if your money is better spent on solid fronts and a sub. Sticking to 600s will be fine. I concur with the posts about using identical speakers up front. However, since B&W does not make magnetically shielded bookshelf speakers in the 600 series, and they do not sell them individually, doing so will be hard unless you do a 6.1 setup. Also, large surround speakers are difficult to implement in a home theater without turning your home theater into an equipment warehouse and less a home. Even Dr. Hsu of Hsu subwoofers recommends small bookshelf speakers that are dynamic down to 90 Hz or so, complimented by a great subwoofer. That's partly why I have no problems sticking to Paradigm Atoms up front. Because in a 5.1 setup, any extra bass response from the main speakers would be superfluous; the subwoofer would take over from there, and do a much better job, too.

Peace and happy listening.

10. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

I use the 601's as rears and tried bi-wiring them but could not tell any difference as rears, however when I swapped my system around and had the 601's as mains bi-wiring definately brought more out of the mid and a more controlled low end, it wasnt hugely noticeable with movies but it was definately their with music.

I would match the 601's with the LCR60 as a centre, whether you would need the 601's over the 600's as rears is debateable, if you have the space and also dont mind spending the extra go for the 601's just to get the system as similar as possible.

The retail price of the 601's in the U.K is £250 I managed to get mine for £225 which was only 10% off but I only bought one pair, if you are buying more I would expect more off, I also got mine when they where first released so you should definately get more off.

11. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Philip. As a matter of fact reading his posts over the last several months has made me change my center speaker. I currently have 602 fronts and a CC6 center but a second pair of 602's are on the way from a fellow HTFer. I have tested my system with a 602 as a center versus the CC6 and honestly there is no comparison. The 602 makes for an excellent center and matching exactly across the front is most definitely the way to go. I think that three 601's across the front would be your best bet. I have 601 surrounds an they are excellent speakers as well.
    So, long story short, my vote is for 5 601's.
    Almost forgot. I think that they will sound excellent with the 3802. But then again I would, that is what I have running mine.[​IMG]

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow I had no idea I could have such influence. [​IMG] However, once you've heard a truly seamless soundfield with three identical speakers up front, I truly believe that anyone would hear the difference. My setup is not anything particularly fantastic, mostly midrange stuff, but whenever I have meets people are amazed at how well the soundfield works.
    This is especially dramatic with 5.1 music. My Sting DTS CDs are remarkable.
    Now if only I could afford/justify those 5 identical Theils that I want.... I guess you have to aspire to something.

13. Robert G

Yeah Philip I can blame you for the latest hole in my wallet.[​IMG] I am however, going to set mine up just a tad different. I customized one of my stands to accommodate a 602 in front of my RPTV. I am not real crazy about putting my center on top so I tried this and it turned out pretty good. I will only have about an 8 inch difference in tweeter height between my mains and center. Also, in my customization I built in just a little tilt upward to accommodate the tweeter height differences. Fed Ex should be knocking at my door tomorrow with a pair of 602's and of course with the next two days off I will be doing some thorough testing.[​IMG]

14. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Hey Robert, now I thank Phillip too...[​IMG] I would hope it got to you by now but the FedEx trucks must be running a bit slow.
    Three 602's up front should be most noticable with 5 ch music. I wish I could do it but I can't place a rear center in my room nor can I put a speaker in front of my entertainment center....ah, the joys of placement issues.

15. Robert G

Hey Bob. I got them on Wednesday but my computer at home was acting up so I could not let you know. They sound fantastic.
    I completely agree with Phil about it sounding better with three 602's across the front than with the CC6 center. I was able to watch and oldie and a new movie since getting them. Black Hawk Down was first. The dialog in this movie can be hard to make out at times due to the action around it. Now I am able to catch many words that I did not the first time around. Next up was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I wanted to hear a mono movie to really see what the 602 could do on it's own in the middle. It performed flawlessly.
    Now all I need is some more time off to watch movies. I have to work all weekend and it will be torture as I am excited about watching some more familiar material to see (hear) the differences. So many movies, so little time. [​IMG]
    Thanks Bob for a smooth transaction. The speakers look and sound flawless just as you stated.

16. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Robert, no prob. I'm glad everything went well. Enjoy (when you can!) I know, take today off or go home early.[​IMG]