Considering an upgrade of some A/C Power Cables? What do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

The title says it all. I am considering upgrading some power cables for my power amp and maybe my pre/pro. The amp is a Sherbourn 5/1500a amp which is 200X5 at 8 ohms. I bought the amp as a demo model. Suprisingly the power cord is quite flimsy for a 87 pound amp. I am just assuming that I could squeeze a small bit more performance out of this amp with a better power cord.

So far I have considered an Audio Quest AC15-1.6H/S cable which hcmaudio.com has on closeout for $55 from $110 for a 2 meter cable. Do you think this would be worth doing? Are there other cables in a similar price range that you might recommend more?

I was also thinking of replacing the cable in my Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro. If I had to chose one of the other, which is more important or are they equally important? Thanks for any help you might offer.

Gregg

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Hi Gregg,
    For a fantastic well constructed "wont break the bank" Power Cord...check out CablePlex.
    He sells on Ebay but is very reliable and very dependable. The Cords are great and inexpensive. Give him a look. [​IMG]
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1337852080
    I'd replace the cord on the 9000 first. Front end components are more receptive to after market cords. You may or may not notice any changes on the amp.
    Best bet is to get one and try it on both. Give each some time to settle in and keep the cord on the one you prefer.

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

4. Gregg Hart

Thanks for the link Ric. Sounds like a nice cable. I will ask if he has more info on his products. Do you have any of these cables yourself?

5. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Another find power cable is Harmonic Technology PRO AC11. The price is $200 for 2m.

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

They sure look nice. Not a big fan of eagle products though and the IEC plug doesnt look much better than the stock plugs. FWIW Eagle products dont get very favorable reviews on the cable asylum amongst the cable builders. He does use the industry standard Belden cable though. You may want to check out one of the following as well:

Boldercables.com

Diycable.com

I'm waiting for the RhinoCables.com power cord to be released before deciding which to buy.

7. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Gregg, Kevin Haskins makes the Bob Crump(audioasylum cable)cable. I have purchased cables from him on 2 separate occassions. Build quality and service is top notch. I believe a 2 meter costs $70. You can find his products at
    www.diycable.com

8. Gregg Hart

The Bob Crump cables look nice too. I will have to decide which to use now.

BTW does it make sense to upgrade the power cable in my power conditioner before anything else? I have an Audio Power Power Pack V unit.

Thanks.

9. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Gregg I would upgrade the PC's closest to the source first, so yes, you could start with your power conditioner cord.

Then CD player, preamp, amp(s) last.

10. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Gregg,
    I actually found the biggest improvement from changing powercords to be with my amp rather than my sources (added a Granite Audio 560 to a Krell).
    This is sort of antithetical to some of the other thoughts/experience expressed in this thread, which again just sort of conveys that YMMV with any of our ideas. [​IMG]
    If you haven't, consider checking Audiogon for used or demo PC's. You can find some great deals.
    Have fun,
    Mike

11. Gregg Hart

I picked up 2 of teh CablePlex cables mentioned earlier in this post. Once for my power conditioner and one for the amp. My pre/pro does not have a detachable power cord, which really sucks. I will let you know if I notice a difference.

12. Jody C Robins

Jody C Robins Stunt Coordinator

Gregg

Did you notice an improvement?

13. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Just picked up the new Rhinocables.com power cord. Big improvement over that skinny cord that came with the Rotel power amp. Greater detail and tighter bass. Highly recomend changing OEM ac cords on power amps.

14. Gregg Hart

I have been so busy that I have not had a chance to even take these cables out of the box. I will get to some listening diffs soon.

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Gregg,

Are you are interested in a high end alternative? It's expensive, but Cardas Golden Reference makes a great AC cable.

It made my equipment sound much better!

Lee

16. Gregg Hart

Can't afford a high-end cable. The amp itself only cost me $1200. If I was buying Krell or something than yes. BUt not at my income level.

17. Kenny Booth

Kenny Booth Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the article Jim suggested reading. There are miles and miles of power cable that you have no control over, how could anyone expect that a few feet of expensive cable could make a difference. Snake Oil, if you think it'll make you feel better then maybe it will.

18. Jody C Robins

Looking at the entirety of the article Jim posted the link for, the guy claims that there is no difference in power chords, speaker wire, well made interconnects, etc. Do you really think all of that is true? His areguments are very one-sided, which, for me, gives him no credibility.

19. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well now, no more one sided that those that ascribe to the notion that there are always audible differences. Credibility will come from rigorous testing, with the burden of proof resting upon those who make claims for differences, yes?
    Consider this email exchange with Bryston. Rather than taking up any issues you may have with myself, consider directing your queries to the manufacturers of either the power cords or to the component manufacturers, whose cords you believe should be replaced for the purposes of sonic improvements. I believe Chris is chief design engineer for what that's worth.
    Thanks for your interesting inquiry re power cords. I can answer fully with normal engineering considerations and simple iinformation: There are likely to be 50 miles of cable and half a dozen or more transformers between you and the power plant generating the power that your sound system uses. It is unlikely, to say the least, that a power cord occupying the final six feet of that 50 miles can do anything positive to change the conditions of that power.
    It is possible to do damage to power delivery of course, by restricting current flow for instance. That would be the case if you had a cord which was too thin for the power needs, for example. If the power cord was much larger than necessary, however, it would unfortunately be limited by outside factors, such as the size of the wiring in your walls, or outside your house.
    It is also possible for a power cord to incorporate bandwidth-limiting components, to restrict the influx of RF or other contaminants to the 60Hz waveform. It is not possible, unfortunately, to do this without restricting
    the flow of 60Hz current to some degree as well. Most audio products, especially including Bryston audio components, contain internal circuitry designed to eliminate these contaminants within the power supply. They are designed to operate from an unrestricted source of 60Hz current, and will actually work less well if the current is restricted from the outside.
    In sum, it is certainly possible for a six-foot power cord to have an affect on the sound, and to change the sonic quality, for the worse. It is not possible, unfortunately, for this change to be an improvement, at least in connection with Bryston products. Bryston recommends that the customer do careful listening prior to spending what is usually a very substantial amount of money on exotic power cords. Remember that it is in the cord vendor's direct financial interest to proclaim an improvement in sound
    quality for their products, and that any change is not necessarily a desirable one.
    I hope the above is helpful, but please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have other questions.
    Sincerely,
    Chris Russell
    Bryston Ltd.
    -----Original Message----- From: James Tanner Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 12:00 PM To: Christopher W. Russell Subject: FW: Technical Question - After Market Power Cords, Connectors, Wall Receptacles
    -----Original Message----- From: ******* Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 11:45 AM To: James Tanner Subject: Technical Question - After Market Power Cords, Connectors, Wall Receptacles
    If possible, could you direct this inquiry to your engineering staff. What is Bryston's position on replacing the power cords that you supply with your amplifiers with what are commonly referred to as 'audiophile' types? I understand that's a broad statement and as an example, I include the link from one such manufacturer which includes his comments on cords and power Van Ever's statements on their line of power cords is given at Does any of this stuff make sense to Bryston? Will using their cords result in an improvement such as extended bass response or diminuation of standing waves, or improved separation? Thanks guys!
    A followup to this reads as follows:
    Thanks for your follow-up email in connection with AC power.
    The typical 60Hz AC waveform contains approximately 3% distortion, in the form of harmonics, noise and interference from such sources as RF and motor commutation affects. Bryston's power supplies filter out this distortion and noise with a typical efficiency of 99.999%. The remainder, (0.0003%), is further rejected by the amplifier circuitry itself. It is essentially immeasurable in the amplifier's output under any circumstances.
    My caution about listening to the effects of a change in power cord was meant to indicate that there is unlikely to be a change for the better, and that careful listening could prove this.
    Again, I trust the above is helpful. Thanks again for your interest
    and support.
    Sincerely,
    Chris Russell
    Bryston Ltd.

20. Jody C Robins

"Well now, no more one sided that those that ascribe to the notion that there are always audible differences. "

I agree and never implied that there are always differences. The only way you can be sure there are, or are not, differences, is to listen yourself.