Considering a Sony VW11HT or Panny AE 100...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I know that the VW12HT is just around the corner, but I can get a pretty good deal on the 11 right now. Does anyone know if the 12 is a huge improvement over the 11? Will the VW12HT have a DVI input? Should I be concerned of the lack of a DVI input on the 11?

I am also considering an AE-100, but I have never seen this projector in action. I have seen the VW11HT and was blown away. The AE-100 sure does get a lot of praise, but price and bulb life (in economy mode) aside, how does the AE-100 stack up to the Sony? I know that there are a lot of questions there, but any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The 12HT should be quite an improvement from the 11HT, at least according to initial speculation. You're going to have much reduced screendoor effect thanks to MLA technology, and the 1000:1 on/off contrast ratio is roughly double what the 11HT is (these compared with factory calibration). We have yet to see what the specs are with both optimized.

The AE100 is a great basic projector, but the Sony is a lot better. I guess it comes down to price.

I would recommend against buying sight unseen if at all possible.

3. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

Gabriel,

Thanks for your advice. You confirmed my initial thought that these two projectors are really not in the same class, which makes the comparison difficult. I certainly won't buy the AE-100 without seeing it first. Have you seen an AE-100 in action? I can get a pretty great deal on the 11 so I am leaning that way so far. Do you know if the 12 will have a DVI input? May be a non issue anyway, I think the 12 will be out of my budget.

Phil

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    It doesn't look like it does unfortunately, but I can't say for sure.
    I have not personally seen the AE100, but have read quite a bit about it and have seen a lot of screenshots of it. This in no way makes me an expert on it.
    Sony 12HT

5. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

I have seen the AE100 in action [​IMG] but not the Sony....It really depends on your setup - viewing distance, screen setup, source....
    If you are not gonna use a HTPC or transcoder - I would just pass on the AE100....The VGA input is *extremely* good, but the component input is a step down for quality...I use a HTPC and the picture is stunning for colors. Blacks are lacking compared to CRT or Direct View sets, but they are very liveable for the price....I think the projector is a great value with the technological advances on the horizon.....I personally feel much better about spending $1500.00 on this projector (about the same price as a good RPTV) to get a 16:9 native picture while waiting for the changes in DLP, LCD and LCOS that are bound to happen in the next 3-5 yrs....As it is, once I am ready to replace it the bulb will just be passing its life expectancy [​IMG]
    I figure if I put away the difference between the AE100 and some of the higher priced models, add a few bucks along the way - I will have financed the "envitable" projector upgrade...

6. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

Gabriel,

Thanks for the photo and the link, hmmm doesn't look like it will have a DVI, too bad. May make my decision easier, and like I said before, the 12 will probably be too pricey for me.

Dave,

My set up will be in the basement, there are no throw distance or light control issues. I will be able to safely accommodate about a 8-9 ft (maybe 10 ft) screen. The price of the AE-100 is attractive for sure as well as the bulb life....and the lower cost of the Panny, would make the eventual upgrade less painful...

Does anyone know the average or best going prices on these projectors (AE-100, VW11HT, VW12HT)?

Thank you both for your input,

Phil

7. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

People who are raving about the TH-AE-1000 get them from Japan, that's why it's been so hyped up. For $1400 USD, it can't be beat.

I have a Canadian model PT-AE100 (List price is $4000 CAD) but can be had for a bit less than that. But if you can get a VW11HT for a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to get that one instead as it is obviously a superior projector at a far higher cost (last time I checked it was nearly three times more expensive - $5000+ USD vs $2000 USD for the USA PT-AE100)

8. Dave_Olds

Yeah, the AE100 can be had at pricejapan.com for the under $1500.00 price tag.....

The 10 ft screen is nice, but the seating distance is important too....I have a 7ft screen and sit 11-13 ft away - from that point, there is no "pixelation" or screen door effect....you have to be 1.5x screen width minimum to negate that problem with this projector.....

I am not so sure the 11HT is a better projector value-wise....Its well documented from those who have viewed both that the VGA driven AE100 blows away the 10HT.....Unless there are some drastic changes between the 10HT & 11HT - I wouldnt even consider the Sony....I would be more inclined to get a 75u Panasonic @ the $2k mark if the TH-AE100 wasnt an option.....

I look at it this way.....If you are used to viewing alot of CRT projectors and the like and consider yourself a videophile - you should spend more money.....If you are just entering digital bigscreen pictures then the fact you are going to a progressive digital source for the first time is a HUGE step. The wow factor on even the bottom of the barrel units are mind-boggling for someone entering the digital projector realm.....Compared to the RPTV's of 5 yrs ago, these things are monsters for picture quality....

9. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

Ray,

Thanks for your input....with any luck I will be able to get the Sony for about double the cost of an AE-100. With that kind of price factor, do you think that there is better value in the VW11HT than the Panny?

Dave,

I will be able to sit within the 1.5x distance, I really appreciate your help, as I am still agonizing over my projector purchase. I hope that I will be blown away, my main display right now is a 3 year old Sony 61" RPTV that I will use as my "everyday" source (the picture on it still amazes me). The deal on the VW11HT is really enticing though...

Thanks,

Phil

10. Dave_Olds

Do a search on the avsforum.com (forum: Projectors UNDER $5k) for the 11HT and the AE100 for a good comparison.....This should help you....One thing definitely in the favor of the 11HT is the failure rate. There was a significant problem with the early AE100 power supplies. This has supposedly been resolved and the failure rate is dropping significantly......But it is something to consider if budget isnt a problem.....I just have this godawful thing where if I can save $1500 for a similar unit and buy a new sub or something else....I do it [​IMG]

11. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

I can't really say what price would make the Sony great value. I think the picture quality looks very good properly set up. The Sony is a higher end projector and its resolution is higher and output is brighter. But the best thing to do is to sample both and decide how much of a jump the Sony is worth it over the Panasonic. Like test driving a car, demoing the FP beforehand is paramount. I demoed a wide range of projectors comparing to the AE100, and they all were better than AE100 is one way or another but I could never justify the 3X-4X price difference for the incremental improvement in quality. I had pleasure of sampling Sharp Z9000 which totally blew me away but I'd rather buy that new car I need instead [​IMG]
    The overall picture quality of the AE100 is great for the price but screendoor effect can be an issue. I sit 1.5x away and it doesn't bother me too much. Driving the AE100 through a Component-to-RGB transcoder is worthwhile also so that adds to the cost to maximize the picture quality. Being in Toronto, it shouldn't be TOO hard to find a vendor which can demo either projector.
    There are lots of choices for good value projectors, and I've only sampled a few of them. I liked the Panasonic 75u (4:3) projector which was sharp, contrasty and quiet. I echo the advice to check out the avsforum as there is lots of banter about various models.

12. Dave_Olds

13. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

Dave and Ray,

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. You both make excellent suggestions and I will try to find a place where I can demo both the Panny and the Sony side by side. This may be impossible but I'll give it a shot. I could not agree with you more Dave when it comes to money, I am very conscious about "value for the dollar" and "deals". I guess that no one can decide for me, I was hoping for a technical and/or performance advantage that would make the choice a simple one....oh well, I'll keep reading.

Phil

14. David Hicks

David Hicks Stunt Coordinator

I don't post much, but thought I'd chime in on this one. I've got an AE100 from Japan and absolutely love it. I'm currently feeding it with a non-progressive scan Panasonic DVD player via components. I've just completed building an HTPC and should have it hooked up in the next few days. From what I've heard, this should provide a fairly substantial improvement over what I already consider to be a damn nice picture!

The first one I got turned out to have the power supply problem referenced above. However, pricejapan shipped me a new one (I had to pay roundtrip shipping of $145) and it's got over 100 hours so far. Total cost with the additional shipping was $1550. While not as nice as the $5000+ projectors, for that price it's a steal!

Good luck with whichever you choose.

15. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

It should be said though that a Sony (or indeed my Epson EMP-TW100... [​IMG] ) will still beat the AE100 when being fed nothing more than an interlaced image from a DVD player.
    The AE100 however won't give you its best performance when driven with anything less than a HTPC, using a normal DVD player will mean the difference is quite substantial.
    Will the AE100 be enough to make you happy? Maybe, depends on what your expectations are. Personally I would get the Sony though (or the comparable-but-imho-slightly-better [​IMG] Epson).

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I think its worth getting the ae100 from Japan. Its killer. Either use a progressive DVD player with a transcoder to allow you to use the VGA port (and associated adjustments) or get an iScan which will double interlaced DVD, VHS, CABLE and LD signals. I saw the ae100 in action with an interlaced DVD player through an iScan and it was amazing. I can't see spending more money than that. I looked great.

17. Dave_Olds

18. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I've seen both projectors. the AE100 is not as nice as the Sony that is for sure! The sony seemed more vibrate in the colors and less screen door. This of course could have been the setup as they were different stores and it seemed like one store didn't really setup the AE that well.

The Sony is nicer though that's for sure. The AE produces a picture, I wouldn't say it's stunning but it could be watchable from a good distance.

19. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

I have not had the chance to see an AE-100 in action, If possible I want to audition the Panny and the Sony at the same time. Any Canadians out there know a store where I can do this in the Greater Toronto area?

I appreciate all the comments, thats why I love this forum, keep em coming, I still haven't made up my mind.

Phil

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Where are you in Toronto? There is a HTF member who has an awesome setup. I can't garantee anything, but he might be willing to entertain a demo for you. He showed me his setup about 4 months ago and I've been hooked ever since. I just need to raise the funds [​IMG] I'll ask him if he'll entertain a demo. He's in east Scarborough, close to Port Union road area. I can't garantee anything. Its his call of course, but its worth a check.