Consensus on Polyurethane Glues?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wayne Ernst, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Just checking in to see if some of you have tried the newer polyurethane glues when constructing your cabinets out of MDF? The polyurethane glue comes under the Elmer's name and also there are other products such as "Gorilla Glue" - as it's sold at Home Depot.

I've used the Poly glue before when I was doing some other wood repairs. Not much glue is needed because it does expand a little as it "cures" so that the joints get properly filled.

I intend to try it when I get into my sub project in the next week or so. I'll provide updates on my results. But, I do think this stuff looks promising. [​IMG]

2. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I used the stuff to build my A/V-1s. I've never used it again. That's because I had 1/2 a bottle left over and when I went to use it again a month or two later, the bottle was dried up. The stuff is WAY over priced to begin with and the very short shelf life doubled the cost for me.

As long as you have good clean, tight fitting joints, Titebond is all you need with MDF.

I can't wait to try the Titebond III that is coming out in a month or so. It is supposed to have a longer open time than TB-I and TB-II and also has a 1-year shelf life.

Titebond III

rf

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Ronnie,

Thanks for the follow-up. That Titebond III looks very promising.

Now, I guess I should head out to my garage and see how my 2-month old bottle of Poly glue is holding up. I'll agree with you, though, it sure isn't too cheap - being $6.00 - $7.00 a bottle.

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Any of these glues sandable? I've been on a hunt for a sandable glue. Titebond II is NOT sandable and Liq. Nails is "marginally" sandable.

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

or any other wood. The only advantage is that it will expand and fill errors. Other than that it's a sloppy mess and I'll never buy it (Gorilla Glue) again. There must be a reason that the pros with decades of experience choose Titebond.

6. Nick Hallett

Nick Hallett Agent

just wait until the glue squeeze-out becomes "leather hard" and trim it off with a razor blade. a little tedious perhaps, but better than cleaning up the mess you can make with poly glues.

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

This speaker builder only uses Titebond and Elmer's carpenters glues. They are strong enough - joints stronger than the MDF. I keep a small bottle of poly around for the rare [​IMG] occasion when there's a small gap between two pieces of wood.
    Need I repeat my usual: you don't need screws or nails to add joint strength.[​IMG]

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I have more gaps than Hank, both in my reasoning as well as in my woodwork, so I find Gorilla Glue quite useful. [​IMG]

9. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Hank on this one. I use only good old yellow glue -- the joints are stronger than the MDF. I do use biscuits because they're wonderful for alignment, but although they add strength they're not necessary.

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

10. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Use Tightbond

11. Denis P

Denis P Extra

Polyurethane foams and expands but the foam does nothing to add strength to an imperfect joint. The only glue you can really use to fill a gap is epoxy. Polyurethane glue is great for outside work where you need waterproof glue. Ordinary carpenter's glue is not waterproof. Poly is also good if you have to glue wood that is very moist, for example exterior treated lumber. Poly glue actually needs moisture on the surface to work. As long as you are not building super-duper-work-outside-in-a-hurricane speakers, yellow glue is more than adequate. Note: if you are building hurricane speakers with Gorilla glue, don't use MDF[​IMG] .