Conquest of the Planet of the Apes :(

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Donnie Eldridge, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I finally got around to watching this movie last night. I'd been meaning to watch it and it's the only movie I hadn't seen out of my POTA boxset. This movie is garbage. What the hell were they thinking when this movie was made? The acting and dialog was bad enough, but they just completely destroyed everything about the series with the masks in Conquest. The original movie I love. The others are fun once and awhile, but this last one is a cryin' shame.[​IMG]

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i think its an interesting movie to think about, but not all that entertaining to watch.

i think, given the time it was concieved, social disorder was a much more relateable concept, so the idea of the apes rioting over their civil rights may have played a little differently.

the POTA movies are fascinating to me for the fact that they basically made them up as they went along and somehow were able to come full circle in a way, while not repeating themselves, and almost every film ('cept for the last) ends on a down-beat.

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Actually, a lot of people think it's the second-best film in the series, after the first one, of course.

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The original poster refers to it as "the last one". Perhaps he's referring to "Battle for the..."?

EDIT: for the record, I'd rank them:

#1: Planet of the Apes
    #2: Conquest of the...
    #3: Escape from the...
    #4: Beneath the...
    #5: Battle for the...

5. DavidAC

DavidAC Stunt Coordinator

I tend to to think of Conquest as the second best POTA, Escape was pretty good also, I thought the end was a good one.

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I also love Conquest. I agree exactly with Bill Grandpe's rankings of the series above.

I think the fact that it takes place in 1991 is interesting and I love how the city looks. I also really enjoy the music during the riot sequence. And I think it's really cool to see how the back-story fits into what happened in the first movie.

I also really enjoyed Escape from and I liked seeing what happened to Caesar as he grew up.

"The king is dead...Long live the king!"

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Conquest was the 4th in the original movie series, Battle was mercifully the last, a short-lived series followed in the mid 70's, until Tim Burton's regurgitation in 2001.
    I've always ranked them in the order they came out, Planet of the Apes (1968 by far the best], followed by Beneath (1970), Escape (1971), Conquest (1972) and Battle [1973 the worst IMO].

8. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Bill is correct. I got my titles mixed up. The movie I was refering to was Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

9. chris*b

chris*b Stunt Coordinator

I love them all including the TV series. The new one was good as well. I will buy these again if they are rereleased until I die.[​IMG]

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    If the masks and the production values are poor, it's because the studio consistently cut the budget on each consecutive Apes movie. In the doc, they explain it and the producers think, for the little amount of money alloted them, that they did okay.

11. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I just picked up the soundtrack for Conquest Of / Battle For. Great stuff.

12. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I love all the APES films, and I'm a lifelong fan. I saw CONQUEST and BATTLE in the movies when they were brand new (and later all FIVE in one marathon) and for the record, I think CONQUEST is a good solid sci fi film, and while BATTLE may be the least of the series, it's still enjoyable.

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

My feelings match the poster's clarified feelings, that being Battle for was especially weak. I really can't even watch it and it seems so totally superfluous.

My ranking matches Bill's exactly, with Conquest as my second favorite. McDowell's delivery of "The king is dead...Long live the king!" is the best I've ever heard it and is very effective.

14. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

None of the sequels approach the level of the original. That said, of the sequels, I'm of the camp that rates it as the best one.

15. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

Oh... well, in that case, you're right, dude -- Battle for the Planet of the Apes is EMBARRASSINGLY bad. Conquest should have been the last film -- it would have been a nice ending to the series, as it does bring it full circle.

Oh, and I'll nominate it for the single worst line in the series: "Shall I be malformed?"

16. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I'd agree with Bill's ranking of the films, also, but the one thing that bothers me about "Escape" is the MUSIC -- UGGH! That has got to be the most annoying score Jerry Goldsmith ever wrote. It sounds like elevator music.

But some grape juice plus sure sounds good right now...

17. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Yeah, Battle is pretty bad. Conquest is certainly flawed, but there are some great moments in it.

With the new SE of the orignal film coming out, does anyone know if there are plans for anamorphic reissues of the other four?

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'd rank Conquest third; I have a fondness for Beneath, which is actually the first of the series that I ever saw. The whole notion of mutants worshipping a nuclear weapon always struck me
    as plenty creepy and an interesting direction to take the ape conflict, a sudden and unexpected change from what started off as just a rehash of the original.

19. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

I'm quite sure Fox said in their last chat that there were NOT plans to re-release the other movies -- just the first one.