Connie & Carla - a REAL drag... anyone else?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Eric Huffstutler, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Bought Connie and Carla sight unseen because of the trailers on TV but found it to be a big disappointment. The movie never really took off and reeked of remakes. You have the Some Like it Hot angle with gangsters after voyeurs or a killing, Victor Victoria with a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman, To Wong Foo with a show and guest star, and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert which is basically an Oz version of To Wong Foo.

Who else think the whole "drag" theme has now been played out to death?

Eric

2. Robyn

Robyn Stunt Coordinator

Whew! I almost bought the DVD the other day, but changed my mind when I was in line at the checkout to pay. Thanks for the warning. I guess I'll just wait until it's on cable. It's sad to hear it wasn't all it was hyped up to be because I really like Toni Colette and Nina (?).

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's the other way around, To Wong Foo was a Hollywood version of the brilliant Priscilla.

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    BrianB

You are right, To Wong Foo came afterwards if I didn't make myself clear when I mentioned the two.

Yes, for the $20 discount price tag Connie and Carla just isn't worth it. Almost all the funny parts are seen in the trailer and yes, there is a couple of chuckles but nothing side-splitting nor does it maintain momentum.

I had the same experience with the unrated version of Boat Trip. I knew it was about a couple of straight men booked on a gay cruise with one having the hots for a straight woman while he pretends to be gay. But that movie also floundered.

"Gay" comedies in movies just haven't found their niche yet. I think the last successful one was Victor Victoria. I mean one that a broad range of audiences will watch, not just a gay following.

I see so many movies in general being pumped out of Hollywood lately but nothing "epic" that will be a future classic. They come and go within weeks and on DVD a couple of months later.

Eric

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Connie and Carla looked terrible even from the trailers. That said, I was no fan of Vardalos' Big Fat Greek Wedding, which revelled in cardboard cut our stereotypes and a cliche worne script.

6. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Yikes! With this film and Connie and Carla might I suggest you check out Rotten Tomatoes or the Official Discussion and Review threads on this forum and you will find out which films are pretty much universally disliked, and if you're still unsure maybe a rental would suffice.

7. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Julian: Your opinion is a refreshing one on MBFGW at the HTF. [​IMG] At least I know I'm not alone.

My wife made the mistake of dragging me to C&C in the theater (!) and we BOTH regretted it! It was matinee price and we still felt ripped off. [​IMG]

-Dennis