Connie and Carla, 2nd film from Nia Vardalos

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, Jan 22, 2004.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...=Entertainment

Half way you will find it in the article.

Big sleeper hit or doing no business at all

In non-sequel mode, writer-actor Nia Vardalos follows up her surprise blockbuster My Big Fat Greek Wedding with Connie and Carla, a romance that carries shades of the cross-dressing comedies Some Like It Hot, Tootsie and Victor/Victoria.

Connie and Carla stars Vardalos, Toni Collette and David Duchovny in the tale of two female musical-theatre singers who witness a murder and hide out from mobsters by posing as drag queens.

The success of the low-budget Greek Wedding has landed Vardalos in the middle of big-money Hollywood. The music budget alone on Connie and Carla equalled the entire $5-million US cost of making Greek Wedding, Vardalos said.

Sky-high expectations often trip up newly minted stars on their first follow-up to a major hit. But Vardalos figures she's already taken that tumble with the failed TV adaptation My Big Fat Greek Life.

"I'm not worried about the sophomore jinx. That already hit me with the TV show," Vardalos said. "I'm now in my junior year, and I feel great."

[​IMG]

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    My wife and I saw this this weekend.

No, it's not on the same level as "Greek Wedding", but given the radical change in subject matter that would be hard to pull off.

Still, there are plenty of genuine laughs in this one. The cast gives very good performances and the appearance of Debbie Reynolds is a true delight. Although I'm not a fan of "showtunes" per se, they are weaved into the storyline very well and the singing is quite fun to listen to.

Recommended.

Steve

3. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Haven't seen it, don't plan to. THe commercials alone are enought to turn me off. It appears to be grating and overly annoying.
    I liked the idea better when it was called Some Like it Hot.

4. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I guess this one won't be pulling a My Big Fat Greek Wedding at the boxoffice!