Connectors? Where to get.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jeff_coil, Mar 31, 2003.

1. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Hello I am going to be making a whole new set of interconnects for my HT most pressing a a DVD-A cable. I am really tired of paying out the big $'s for interconnects. What I am looking for is some good online resources ( to purchase) for connectors and cable etc. And any advice to follow while making. Thanks

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Many HTF members have bought from MarkerTekAlso, here's a link to a "how-to" site.

3. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i made these cables they were cheap andi haven't a single complant.

Plus you don't have to but expensive dyes and crimpers

4. jeff_coil

Thanks Guys. Allen- I was choking over the tools as well! I had seen this link in the past thanks for repostingas I could come across it

5. TimForman

An interesting side note pertaining to the DIY cable link I provided. The Canare die is expensive and doesn't fit all Canare cables correctly, in the case of the Canare component video cable (L5 something) especially. I would recommend getting generic crimpers and dies in spite of what the author says. If you take your time it'll come out great. The stripping tool is really cool but only necessary if you're making a large quantity of cables. Otherwise, once again, just take your time.

6. jeff_coil

Tim I was thinking the same thing. I have one of those $14 Ideal coax strippers from HD that I think I could get to work. How about Beldin vs Canare cable any thought on this? I see that signalcables.com uses Beldin while BlueJeans uses either with Canare connectors.

7. TimForman

Actually I used Gepco cable with Canare ends from MarkerTek. Here's the link.

8. Ted Drain

Ted Drain Agent

You can also check out my site at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~teddrain/diy_cables/

It describes how to make Canare/Belden cables without buying the Canare crimping and stripping tools. It also has links to where you can by cables by the foot and connectors.

9. jeff_coil

Thanks guys I am ordering the supplies! I guess I will be busy. I will post my remarks after the process and compare with my some of my mid level monster cables I have now!
    Jeff