Connectors to Terminate Speaker Wire to Amp

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Allan*C, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Allan*C

Allan*C Agent

Can anyone recommend connectors to terminate 10g speaker wire to amplifier. I'm using a Sherbourn 7/2100. I have some spades, but there doesn't seem to be enough room for the spades to fit well.

I also have some Phoenix Gold A405 Banana Plugs, but they seem to loosen over time.

I've seen banana plugs that have the wire feed through the back as well. Does anyone know where to get them?

Other suggestions are welcome

Thanks

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

10 ga is pretty darn thick. Usually we top out at 12 ga for 20+ ft runs.

Radio Shack has some dual-bananas with a over-sized side-hole. Unscrew the back and a plunger moves back to open the hole. Stick in wire and tighten.

I dont know if it will work for 10 ga, but it's worth a shot.

Radio Shack also sells 2-piece single bananas that un-screw, you shove the wire through the back, fold the strands over and screw on the top half which traps the copper between the parts.

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Why not just use bare wire?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    This is perfectly natural with stranded wire, Allan, especially highly-stranded wire. It tends to “crush down” or further collapse over time with pressure connections. I expect you’ll have the same problem using it bare, too. Just keep an eye on it - after you re-tighten a few times you shouldn’t have anymore problems.

One way you can minimize the problem is to insert the wire straight-on, and not manually twist it before hand.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Allan*C

Allan*C Agent

Actually the wire is closer to 11g as I'm using 14/4 doubled up. I'm using bare wire at the speakers, but the amp is so darn heavy that I place it in the ra first and then wire it up. It's a bit tight to get in there with bare wire. The plugs are so much more convenient.

I'll check out Radio Shack. Thanks